Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Shul or Tehillim on Leil Rosh HaShana?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 3:52 pm
I just saw a notice in my building inviting women to come to a neighbour just after candle lighting tomorrow night, and join in saying two full books of tehillim.

Assuming you were free to go out after candle lighting without having to worry about child care, would you choose to go to Tehillim or go to shul?

To me, that first moment of maariv, when the shalich tzibbur stands there and calls out ברכו את ה' המבורך, and everyone bows down and responds, just symbolises Rosh HaShana, almost as much as the shofar. I know it's part of the regular maariv, but that moment is everyone together, acknowledging Hashem. It almost feels like we've done what we needed, and now we can go home!

It's hard for me to imagine choosing to miss that moment. But there is a segula of saying Tehillim, and some women connect much more with Tehillim than other forms of tefilla. Is this something you would do? I'd be interested in hearing which speaks to you more.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 3:53 pm
I'd say if you can go to shul to daven with a minyan, that's a lot more powerful than the segulah of tehillim. Just MHO

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 3:54 pm
Shul, definitely.

I'd assume tehillim means you can bring your kids along, for mothers that can't get to shul.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:40 pm
I would go to shul, but you need to figure out what talks to you more. Imagine yourself at shul/tehillim now, what are you feeling regret or grateful to be there etc.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:12 pm
Maariv on RH is usually after tzeis and mincha is before shkiya so there’s quite a bit of down time in between that sounds like a great time to say tehillim.

dena613

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:32 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Maariv on RH is usually after tzeis and mincha is before shkiya so there’s quite a bit of down time in between that sounds like a great time to say tehillim.

Yes, this is true! You can do both.

If I had to choose one or the other and didn't have to worry about childcare, hands down shul for me!

ShaniF

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:53 pm
Someone with kids at home might be able to go to a Tehillim group vs Maariv
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur