Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Tips to closet edit?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 9:33 pm
I have a lot of clothing that I accumulated over the years. I would say a good 70% are pieces that I wouldn’t wear again. I have so much trouble parting with these pieces but I simply do not have the space to keep them. Every season (more like fall/winter, and spring/summer) I buy some new clothing items, probably two shabbos outfits, one nice wedding dress, three skirts and four tops. Any tips for me to part with my old clothing?

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 10:10 pm
Try it on, see how old, worn out, last season ect. it looks and it'll be easier to give away/throw out.

I had this as well since in my mind it was such a nice outfit. Once I looked at it again I realized I will literally never ever wear this again and was more then happy to give away.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 11:57 pm
If you’re buying new items every season, I would recommend you make sure you’re getting rid of the same amount of new items. So if you’re buying 3 new tops, you’re also getting rid of 3 tops. Things you haven’t worn in a year - would be the baseline, but if that’s “too hard” then for sure if you have things for 3+ years that you haven’t worn - really look at them and realize you’ll never wear them and pass them on.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:24 am
Few things you can try:

-One in, one out: no new items come in without throwing out

-Turn all your hangers backwards and each time you wear something put it back the normal way. After 2-3 months you’ll see what you actually wear.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:32 am
You have to change your mindset. Don't think of it as depriving yourself of possessions; think of it as giving your unworn things a new lease on life, enabling someone of fewer means to enjoy something nice for a change, and rewarding yourself with more closet space. Then give your stuff to a gmach, rummage sale or charity thrift shop.

If you find it difficult to decide what to jettison, draft a good friend to help you sort through your wardrobe. Bribe her with lunch in a great restaurant or something if she's reluctant. If all your friends are hoarders or not strong enough to withstand your arguments why you "can't" get rid of stuff, hire a professional instead. Find one who will also cart away your rejects and bring them to a donation center, so that they leave your house immediately and don't hang around tempting you to put them back in your closet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics