Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What food from your home country...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Please come back amother taupe. I’m trying to figure out what autocorrect means by herring under fur coat. Obviously other imas understood because they liked your post but all I can think of is herring under a fur coat.

What I miss most are Perl’s knishes. They don’t exist anymore not even in my very oot hometown. If there’s anyone here from there they’ll know.

Not autocorrect, just a literal translation from Russian, селёдка под шубой. A layer of chopped salty herring, under a bunch of boiled shreddes beets, finely diced potatoes and carrots, mayo and topped with crumbled hard boiled egg and sometimes green onion.

Now you probably understand why neither my American husband nor my American children would touch it with a ten foot pole LOL

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:09 pm
I never liked Concord grape juice. Kedem Rosa or golden is way better.
We only get kedem concord for grape juice ices.

I want a bigger variety of barbecue sauce. American of course.

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:14 pm
juggling wrote:
Wissotzky is the most ubiquitous brand of tea in Israel. I think she meant people bring it *from* Israel as gifts to people in chul.

I didn't realize that. We always drank wissotzky tea back in Brooklyn.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:28 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Not autocorrect, just a literal translation from Russian, селёдка под шубой. A layer of chopped salty herring, under a bunch of boiled shreddes beets, finely diced potatoes and carrots, mayo and topped with crumbled hard boiled egg and sometimes green onion.

Now you probably understand why neither my American husband nor my American children would touch it with a ten foot pole LOL

Amother taupe thank you!
I’ve asked other poster’s questions here and never got an answer. Maybe they never saw I asked or couldn’t take the time. But you! You didn’t just answer you even posted photos!
That looks delicious and so pretty but you’re right, like your family, there’s no chance I’d eat it. I’d enjoy looking at it though and I’d enjoy watching you eat it Smile

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 1:23 pm
From Belgium:
Hagelslag
Jagedde
Schokolade-Koffiekoek
Kaaspotjes

From Switzerland:
Thomy Mayonnaise
Zweifel Paprika Chips
Herbamare
Bratwurst/Wienerli/etc

From Israel:
Pita's (real, authentic)
Chummus (real, authentic)
Schoko BeSakit
Apropos

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:39 pm
This is such an entertaining thread for me, waking up so many old flavours. My grandmother is from Melbourne, my mil from Brooklyn. I am from Uk and have travelled quiet a bit to Israel.
My great aunt owns haymishes bakery in Melbourne. the coconut cookies are delicious . My grandmother would always bring us chocolate in huge bags. The strawberry and mint ones in the pastel packets. yum. I remember our first meal to Melbourne was sausages it was delicious. We went to baleret. Good memories.

My most favoured food from new York is the American doughnuts, here in London they are made from challah dough at least that what it taste like.

Israeli shawarma and falafel are the best. And having an ice coffee as soon as you land of the flight is a dream.
I had a delicous shashuka in one of the hotels it was the first time I was introduced to it.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:45 pm
amother Grape wrote:
This is such an entertaining thread for me, waking up so many old flavours. My grandmother is from Melbourne, my mil from Brooklyn. I am from Uk and have travelled quiet a bit to Israel.
My great aunt owns haymishes bakery in Melbourne. the coconut cookies are delicious . My grandmother would always bring us chocolate in huge bags. The strawberry and mint ones in the pastel packets. yum. I remember our first meal to Melbourne was sausages it was delicious. We went to baleret. Good memories.

My most favoured food from new York is the American doughnuts, here in London they are made from challah dough at least that what it taste like.

Israeli shawarma and falafel are the best. And having an ice coffee as soon as you land of the flight is a dream.
I had a delicous shashuka in one of the hotels it was the first time I was introduced to it.

Everything from haymishe is absolutely delicious 😋😋 so funny you can relate to this whole thread!

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:48 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
I'm a long-exiled Brit.
I miss Rakusens digestive biscuits, orange jaffa cakes, real dairy chocolate eclairs fresh from the bakery, iced buns, golden syrup, marmite and humzingers. Do they still make all those products in Blighty?
Cant believe I've been so many years without the above food!

Grodz stopped making the rectangular iced buns I liked although they have similar ones.

You can still get digestives, dairy eclairs (had one today at a simcha), marmite (there was a terrible few months/years when it stopped being kosher but that time is over bh) golden syrup (with the picture of the lion from Shimshon on it). Not sure about humzingers. And haven't seen jaffa cakes for a while but maybe they are still around.

I miss just the really fresh bread from Sharons and Grods. Kimmel bread with the little caraway seeds with some yummy butter.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Taupe wrote:

I'm a child of Russian immigrants and I will not either touch it with a ten foot pole. Also оливье and холодец.

6000miles

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:58 pm
I miss the Franzosz whole wheat bread. Especially the mezonos one, which you can have toast and pb for a snack and not have to wash….
Ww bread here in Israel does not compare…..

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:17 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
From Belgium:
Hagelslag
Jagedde
Schokolade-Koffiekoek
Kaaspotjes

From Switzerland:
Thomy Mayonnaise
Zweifel Paprika Chips
Herbamare
Bratwurst/Wienerli/etc

From Israel:
Pita's (real, authentic)
Chummus (real, authentic)
Schoko BeSakit
Apropos

Thomy mayonnaise is very available and yes there is Herbamare too.

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:31 pm
ima_bima wrote:
My parents post me good black teabags. My mom calls Israeli tea "piss water" Laugh

Which ones do they post you? I’m jealous

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:35 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
I'm a long-exiled Brit.
I miss Rakusens digestive biscuits, orange jaffa cakes, real dairy chocolate eclairs fresh from the bakery, iced buns, golden syrup, marmite and humzingers. Do they still make all those products in Blighty?
Cant believe I've been so many years without the above food!

Yes, Yes & yes!
There were times when I would bring / get a lot of these things sent to NY. Now I've either got used to doing without it or you can buy most UK products now in NY.
Marmite is a necessity!
I miss Jaffa cakes. I bought a kosher version recently in NY - I was thoroughly disappointed.
Real British/Israeli bakery, Grodz, or Carmeli - especially the dairy cream cakes.
(No idea what Humzingers are.)
The only mustard is Colman's Mustard - which you can buy in NY now too.
Golden Syrup doesnt have equivalent in USA but can substitute.
American Kedem Grape juice is like drinking straight up sugar shot! It caters to the American sweet tooth. Very easy to like drinking it, but its not the 'real' grape juice!
RIBENA! Get me some of that please!

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:43 pm
My brother and his family live in Australia. When they come to visit the US, they always bring vegemite as apparently when wife and kids can’t live without it. When they go back to AUS from America, my brother has an entire suitcase devoted to Cheerios and his favorite brand of peanut butter.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 7:55 pm
Arent jaffa cakes like those biscuits you get in strawberry and orange flavour?

Make is taim though it used to be something else and then they copied it...

Theyr sponge at the bottom with a layer of jam and choc coating.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:43 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
Arent jaffa cakes like those biscuits you get in strawberry and orange flavour?

Make is taim though it used to be something else and then they copied it...

Theyr sponge at the bottom with a layer of jam and choc coating.

Yes I love those too!! We had them in Australia growing up. Oh would so love to find them in NY...

a2z

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:43 am
In Israel we only have donuts chanukah time 😭

juggling

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:48 am
a2z wrote:

Maybe it's a hechsher not everyone eats, but there are definitely places to buy donuts all year.

Mr. Donut is a company that makes them, they are sold in various stores. Their website shows where you can buy them in every city, and I think you can order direct from them, as well.

Herby's of Beit El also makes them year-round, and they, too, sell to stores in other towns.

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:04 am
a2z wrote:

My local.maafe neeman sells donuts practically all year round. Both Sufganiyot and 'American style'

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:05 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Which ones do they post you? I’m jealous

But we have Twinings tea in Israel (finally) as well as Lipton.
Osher ad sells the brand Impra, also good.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics