Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Rinsed my mouth on Yom Kippur

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:52 pm
So around two hours before motzei Yom Kippur I got ready to leave to shul for mincha and Neila. I bent over the sink in my bathroom to wash my eyes and by mistake started to rinse my mouth! I caught myself right away and quickly spit out the water! I felt horrible and couldn’t believe what happened!! Later when I told my husband he just laughed it off and told me that now I have to fast an extra hour. Of course he meant it for a joke and totally didn’t make a big deal out of it.
Anyone had this or similar experience and called a LOR if they have to do anything like give extra tzadakah or just let it go??

synthy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
So around two hours before motzei Yom Kippur I got ready to leave to shul for mincha and Neila. I bent over the sink in my bathroom to wash my eyes and by mistake started to rinse my mouth! I caught myself right away and quickly spit out the water! I felt horrible and couldn’t believe what happened!! Later when I told my husband he just laughed it off and told me that now I have to fast an extra hour. Of course he meant it for a joke and totally didn’t make a big deal out of it.
Anyone had this or similar experience and called a LOR if they have to do anything like give extra tzadakah or just let it go??
Its ok, you didn’t break your fast. Iirc b’dieved you may even rinse your mouth if you’re an istinus (very particular).

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 12:28 am
synthy wrote:
Its ok, you didn’t break your fast. Iirc b’dieved you may even rinse your mouth if you’re an istinus (very particular).
I'm an istunis
What other leniency do I have

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 12:51 am
Why were you washing your eyes in Yom Kippur??

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 1:06 am
amother Latte wrote:
Why were you washing your eyes in Yom Kippur??

You are allowed to use wet fingers (after washing only to knuckles ofc) to wipe out your eyes.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 1:12 am
DS had a really dirty nappy and DH changed DS and he washed his hands because DS kicks ands turns and does whatever and u get his full nappy bag everywhere

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 1:16 am
synthy wrote:

Yes my rav holds this is ok.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 1:28 am
amother Coral wrote:
You are allowed to use wet fingers (after washing only to knuckles ofc) to wipe out your eyes.

I'm very surprised to hear this. It's one of the 5 Issurim. Please share a source.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 2:55 am
amother Latte wrote:
I'm very surprised to hear this. It's one of the 5 Issurim. Please share a source.

I learned this every single year in my.elem BY school, starting prob in kindergarten and thru 5th or 6th grade, so several teachers taught this. When you wash your hands I.e. in the morning after negel vasser, you can use your damp fingers to wipe the crevices of your eyes. It's not exactly "washing out" your eyes the way you may be picturing but I assume that's what op meant she was doing.
(BTW I also remember learning from a halacha teacher in high school that a newlywed woman within a short period of marriage is allowed to wash her face on YK, maybe like a month of getting married iirc, though I don't remember to what extent or how. This was from a rabbi who taught us from thr kitzur Shulchan Aruch Just saying this, because it is not as clear cut as absolutely not allowed ever as you are saying.)

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 3:16 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
DS had a really dirty nappy and DH changed DS and he washed his hands because DS kicks ands turns and does whatever and u get his full nappy bag everywhere

Everyone is allowed to (and should) wash their hands after changing diapers on yk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur