Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
AMA- homebirth in Israel, precipitous labor

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 11:04 am
I’ll answer what I have the time and patience for. (You have been warned!)

I have had 5 homebirths in Israel. 4 were under an hour.
I like to say that I prefer to deliver in my bed, rather than the sidewalk. But it really is much more than that. It’s truly a beautiful experience.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 11:57 am
do you do it near a hospital just in case god forbid complications arise ?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:06 pm
Israel has a tremendous lack of hospitals and hasn’t built new ones on the large population centers between the established hospitals.
I don’t have much of a choice.
Shaarei Tzedek is probably closest at about a half hour drive. The closest homebirth midwives are also about a half hour drive. Two of my labors were under a half hour. Just long enough for DH to prepare my bed!

ap

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:09 pm
Were all births so quick including first?
Did you have assistance
Is it more painful or less when it's so fast

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:11 pm
Does that mean you sometimes give birth alone? What safety measures do you take?

I also have home births, but I have long labors, and midwives who live close by.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:13 pm
I also have precipitous labors and I have questions! have you had any complications? with literally half my deliveries I hemorrhaged and also half my babies ended up needing the nicu. I'd love a planned homebirth or birthcenter but I'm rushing to the hospital because of my history of complications and need for nicu. One of my babies was literally 10 minutes away from being born in a car, so it's cut really close. how do you balance out fast labors with need for services?

Also any long term physical complications from precipitous labor? prolapse? my midwife says these are common with precipitous labors.

Did you need to push? I didn't, I felt my body pushing out the babies, but one of my deliveries the baby was in distress so when the head came out instead of waiting for the next contraction they told me to push right away.

thank you for sharing, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:21 pm
ap wrote:
Were all births so quick including first?
Did you have assistance
Is it more painful or less when it's so fast

My first was 3 hrs, that included 1hr of pushing.
For three I had a doula.
I hire a legal homebirth midwife. DH is a great substitute support. There are three Hatzoloh ladies in the neighborhood if I need.
I have no idea what a long labor feels like. With one, I waited for the midwife before pushing. THAT was painful.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:24 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Does that mean you sometimes give birth alone? What safety measures do you take?

I also have home births, but I have long labors, and midwives who live close by.

I wish I had better options.
I’ve twice delivered with only my husband.
Last time he wasn’t home, so I had DD call hatzolah. (My midwife was delivering a different baby and sent me her backup)

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:26 pm
amother Dill wrote:
I also have precipitous labors and I have questions! have you had any complications? with literally half my deliveries I hemorrhaged and also half my babies ended up needing the nicu. I'd love a planned homebirth or birthcenter but I'm rushing to the hospital because of my history of complications and need for nicu. One of my babies was literally 10 minutes away from being born in a car, so it's cut really close. how do you balance out fast labors with need for services?

Also any long term physical complications from precipitous labor? prolapse? my midwife says these are common with precipitous labors.

Did you need to push? I didn't, I felt my body pushing out the babies, but one of my deliveries the baby was in distress so when the head came out instead of waiting for the next contraction they told me to push right away.

thank you for sharing, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

BH no complications.
That’s so interesting. My midwife says that there’s less complications. What
I do need to push.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:28 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I wish I had better options.
I’ve twice delivered with only my husband.
Last time he wasn’t home, so I had DD call hatzolah. (My midwife was delivering a different baby and sent me her backup)

Did he need training?
Do you go into hospital after

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:31 pm
How do you deal with the pain?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:30 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Did he need training?
Do you go into hospital after

LOL, no, I tell him I’m in labor, he makes the bed (everything is piled in order, plastic sheet, old sheet, chux pads) puts water to boil (I try to keep the kettle full) for a hot water bottle.
If no one else gets here, he hold the hot water bottle on my tailbone area. Of course I don’t go to the hospital, That’s the point!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:31 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
How do you deal with the pain?

Deep throat breathing from yoga with swaying. Kneeling over pillows piled on a stool.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:35 pm
Which midwives have you used for your births?
What do they bring to the birth with you? My midwives in NY bring a birthing stool and birthing pool, I just need to provide a liner. How is homebirth viewed in Israel? The reason why I am having a homebirth is because I want to stay far away from an American hospital. I find that my peers/relatives in Europe and Israel don't really understand the risks of NY hospitals. How are Israeli doctors when it comes to midwives and their roles in psychological births? Midwives arent respected here

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:46 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Which midwives have you used for your births?
What do they bring to the birth with you? My midwives in NY bring a birthing stool and birthing pool, I just need to provide a liner. How is homebirth viewed in Israel? The reason why I am having a homebirth is because I want to stay far away from an American hospital. I find that my peers/relatives in Europe and Israel don't really understand the risks of NY hospitals. How are Israeli doctors when it comes to midwives and their roles in psychological births? Midwives arent respected here

Barbara.
Yaffi was the backup.
She has a birthing stool, I don’t like it.
You could rent a pool.
The hospitals get a lot of money for each birth, so they lobby the government against it.
Most people haven’t heard of it and want to know what I do if I want an epidural, lol!
Midwives attend births in Israeli hospitals. They are becoming a bit more natural oriented, if there’s space.
The private doctors are very good, I hear.
There is pressure and protocol in hospitals that many homebirth mothers are trying to avoid.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:50 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Barbara.
Yaffi was the backup.
She has a birthing stool, I don’t like it.
You could rent a pool.
The hospitals get a lot of money for each birth, so they lobby the government against it.
Most people haven’t heard of it and want to know what I do if I want an epidural, lol!
Midwives attend births in Israeli hospitals. They are becoming a bit more natural oriented, if there’s space.
The private doctors are very good, I hear.
There is pressure and protocol in hospitals that many homebirth mothers are trying to avoid.

Do they only service your area?
Who lobbys the government against what?
What pressure and protocal exists in Israeli hospitals?
Did your mother/sisters/aunts home birth? How did you realize you wanted one? What do you wear during your births and how does your DH support you in regards to touching/tznius if you're niddah? Assuming the midwife doesnt make it on time, or if you do want you DH there

Sorry for all the qs!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:26 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Do they only service your area?
They prefer to be reasonably close.
Who lobbys the government against what?
The hospitals lobby against providing coverage/paying for births outside of hospitals.

What pressure and protocal exists in Israeli hospitals?
Any intervention. Internal checks, monitoring, location and position for delivery. It’s been 13 years since I delivered in a hospital, so I don’t remember everything.
Did your mother/sisters/aunts home birth? How did you realize you wanted one?
My mother did. I always entertained the thought. My doula told me that I should. I think I was avoiding for the cost. I guess the question really is why didn’t I do it before!
What do you wear during your births and how does your DH support you in regards to touching/tznius if you're niddah?
If he’s the only one there he touches me only as needed and turns his head away. I assume he closes his eyes. I have had him hold a hot water bottle on my lower back.
Assuming the midwife doesnt make it on time, or if you do want you DH there
He’s fine. He’d just prefer I take long enough for a lady to come replace him
Sorry for all the qs!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics