Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
OMG - AMI story making fun of Imamother!!
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9 10  11  12  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:29 pm
amother Red wrote:
watergirl wrote:
You can not compare imamother and Ami. I mean, you can... but it's not the same kind of media with a different purpose and goal. I'm not going to convince you. You are welcome to your opinion.

Look, you do you. You enjoyed it? Great! I'm glad you did.

You don't like what goes on in this site? Clearly you see problems with it. You can change that for yourself if you'd like to as well.

Have a wonderful rest of chag.

She is allowed to use this site even if she agrees with the article. You are not in charge of who can use this website and you should not insinuate who belongs here.

You owe watergirl an apology.
She's not kicking anyone off this site - she's inviting that amother to make things better here.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Red wrote:
She is allowed to use this site even if she agrees with the article. You are not in charge of who can use this website and you should not insinuate who belongs here.

Of course she is allowed on this site! She agrees with the article - that's ok! She's allowed to! I am stating my opinion on a section of this site I do not mod. I'm allowed to do that also.

Amother Peach was very clear that she has certain issues with the site, so I said "you can change that for yourself if you'd like to as well". There are aspects of this site I don't like, so I changed it for myself - I hid the forums that I need to hide to make a better atmosphere for myself when I am here. When I get really frustrated, I take a break. I ignore (scroll by) posts that bother or trigger me. When I thought I had something to add - I volunteered. I changed my experience here. I changed it for myself. Anyone can do that here! It's a very versatile site.

You read something into my comment that was not there.

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 3:41 pm
watergirl wrote:
She is on here, and she's said who she is in the past. I hope she does see this.

I'll direct this comment directly to Riva (meaning I am assuming she's reading this).

I read the story. I got your point, and it's something I try to keep in mind whenever I post here or on facebook or wherever. You had a great point and I had chills when the husband had a chance to tell his story. The things people write here can be very harmful.

I think the manner in which you did it is wrong. You made it crystal clear that you are talking about this site. You should have thought of another way to get your point across. If you have a comment for us, tell us. If you have a comment for Yael, tell her. Giving mussar to the imamother community via AMI succos magazine, which included using other people's stories for inspiration, is very hurtful. I would have hoped you knew that, but you do now. The yogurt, the salad, the knock at one of our members with a hint to her name (the worst offence I think) etc. - you owe those women an apology. And you owe Yael an apology for abusing your privilege as a guest on her site. Using the style, amother colors, it's a lazy way to tell a story and fill many pages. I read your stories in Mishpacha - you are better than this.

This story can and should have been told without hinting to this site in the direct manner in which it was done. Real people are hurt. Some loved it, so that's great. But it does not cancel out the very hurt and violated feelings others here have. Myself included - I do not appreciate being used as fodder to fill pages.

I am also reporting my post because I want Yael to see this. This is not the first time a person has used this site to boost her business or to write something elsewhere. Being used like this is wrong.

Riva, at the very least, you owe us all a public apology.

đź‘Ź đź‘Ź đź‘Ź đź‘Ź

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 4:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Riva Pomerantz wrote a story in the AMi Collection poking fun at Imamother! It's hilarious! basically a whole thread of posts that quickly gets derailed. hysterical.

I was laughing away. like we say in yiddesh a bittera gelechtir in a zeit

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:05 pm
So if I want to write a story ripping on Instagram's, fakebook or tik tok I'm not allowed to?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:24 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
You should probably work on your sense of humor . I didn’t read the article but it sounds funny. And I’m general, it’s important to have a good sense of humor to be able to enjoy life.

I don’t even think the author meant it to be funny. I think she meant it as a warning.
Maybe people should think of it when posting on future threads.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:31 pm
It’s interesting. It seems to me that many of the posters who would have no problem starting a thread, or reading an article or story about say, Lakewood schools, or American seminaries in Israel, or Jewish clothing stores-whatever-a specific group in that sense-are suddenly up in arms if someone writes about Imamother. You can nitpick, but I don’t see a real difference.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:45 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
It’s interesting. It seems to me that many of the posters who would have no problem starting a thread, or reading an article or story about say, Lakewood schools, or American seminaries in Israel, or Jewish clothing stores-whatever-a specific group in that sense-are suddenly up in arms if someone writes about Imamother. You can nitpick, but I don’t see a real difference.

THIS. Its TRULY BIZZARE!!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:46 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
I don’t even think the author meant it to be funny. I think she meant it as a warning.
Maybe people should think of it when posting on future threads.

Oh, so it's propaganda. Wink

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Lavender wrote:

Agree. Not sure why we're allowed to discuss and bash everything here, yet imamother is untouchable. (and it wasn't even bashing imamother at all, just providing a word of caution for all.)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Lavender wrote:

The problem is not discussing it. The problem is referring to actual posts of actual people in a way that can easily be read as minimizing abuse as something hysterical women make up because they exaggerate.
Her article was not a sincere analysis of over sharing.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:51 pm
It's actually the same posters up in arms here who proudly proclaim at every opportunity that they would never buy or support AMI blah blah blah.

I don't buy it either, but yeah it's a double standard.

Especially since this wasn't putting down this forum at all, just discussing a common problem that occurs when people post without considering that they're discussing real-life situations.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Agree. Not sure why we're allowed to discuss and bash everything here, yet imamother is untouchable. (and it wasn't even bashing imamother at all, just providing a word of caution for all.)

I think you’re not understanding the women who are upset. It’s not a question of imamother bashing. It’s a feeling of invasion of privacy, specifically with regard to women who have been victims of abuse or who have been in contact with women who experienced it. They’re a sensitive group and it’s easy to understand why that is.
Whenever I saw a comment from anyone who thought it was funny or enjoyed it I thought - there’s someone who has no idea how sensitive this topic is and isn’t she lucky to be innocent and able to laugh. That’s why I don’t blame the author either, but I didn’t think that should have been published where it was.
It’s not imamother that’s untouchable. It’s the subject of abuse that should be touched upon only by people who know what they’re doing, and even then with the greatest care.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:11 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
It's actually the same posters up in arms here who proudly proclaim at every opportunity that they would never buy or support AMI blah blah blah.

I don't buy it either, but yeah it's a double standard.

Especially since this wasn't putting down this forum at all, just discussing a common problem that occurs when people post without considering that they're discussing real-life situations.

Read the screenshots and it confirmed that I am not the target audience for Ami magazine. I found the article to be in poor taste and displayed an uncomfortable level of internalized misogyny.

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:13 pm
Unless Yael gave permission, how is the story not plagiarism?
I fault the author as well as the Ami magazine for publishing it.
Not sure how this is ok.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:15 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
I think you’re not understanding the women who are upset. It’s not a question of imamother bashing. It’s a feeling of invasion of privacy, specifically with regard to women who have been victims of abuse or who have been in contact with women who experienced it. They’re a sensitive group and it’s easy to understand why that is.
Whenever I saw a comment from anyone who thought it was funny or enjoyed it I thought - there’s someone who has no idea how sensitive this topic is and isn’t she lucky to be innocent and able to laugh. That’s why I don’t blame the author either, but I didn’t think that should have been published where it was.
It’s not imamother that’s untouchable. It’s the subject of abuse that should be touched upon only by people who know what they’re doing, and even then with the greatest care.

This is exactly the issue that I have with it. And that she used an actual post that someone posted instead of making up her own. If I was the poster who posted the yogurt thread I would be feeling incredibly hurt right now.

If she would have made up her own scenario, and it wouldn't be something that has the possibility of hurting vulnerable women I wouldn't have a problem with it.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:27 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:

Thank you for writing this.
I really agree with you.
Was nodding my head when I read your post.

I dont actually know what was the original "yoghurt post" but it doesnt really matter.
It definitely touches a chord with me.

To the poster who was wondering about the surrendered wife, there was a poster who posted something like:

Have you read "the wealthy banker"?
I highly recommend,

Sorry I dont have it with me so cant quote exactly.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Heather wrote:

To the poster who was wondering about the surrendered wife, there was a poster who posted something like:

Have you read "the wealthy banker"?
I highly recommend,

Sorry I dont have it with me so cant quote exactly.

How is that connected to Surrendered wife?

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:39 pm
I am not quoting directly but the post definitely made me think of it.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:43 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
How is that connected to Surrendered wife?

Was definitely referring to it. Very obvious in context
Page 9 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 8  9 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room