Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
CANDY MINTS RECIPE

digi

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:23 pm
anyone have a recipe for candy mints? something you dont need a flame for?

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:07 am
I have a candy cookbook at home that I've never sed. I'm sure I have a recipe in there. I'll try & remember to look it up.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 1:43 pm
I think you need a flame for all of them, except for maybe taffy. I know w/ candy, you also need a thermometer.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 1:45 pm
I don't have the recipe but you will need peppermint oil.

digi

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 9:12 pm
can I use peppermint extract instead of oil?
and anyone have a simple one that consits of confectioners sugar,margarine, water, peppermint extract food coloring?
something simple?

Amital

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:30 am
Here is a cream cheese mint recipe I've made with my boys. Good for kids, because it's no heat! (But I'm not sure you can make it parve.)

3 oz cream cheese (non-fat doesn't work, but low or full fat does)
2.5-3 C powdered sugar
1/2 tsp mint extract (or 5 drops peppermint oil)
food coloring if desired
1 C fine sugar for coating

Beat the cream cheese until softened, then add 1.5 C powdered sugar. Add in extract and coloring, then slowly add remaining confectioners sugar until soft dough is formed--may not use it all. Knead about 5 minutes, dusting with powdered sugar as needed.

Roll into balls and did in fine sugar. Press into a mold if you want them shaped, of flatten into patties, etc.

You can do all sorts of variations on this. I made orange cream cheese "mints" with orange flavoring instead of mint. You can add pretty much any extract for flavoring (rum, raspberry, cinnamon, etc.) You can also add various colorings to change it up.

To make chocolate mint cream cheese mints, substitute 1 cup of cocoa for part of the powdered sugar.

Amital

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:38 am
Hey, another option (I love making candy!!!) is truffles.

I make truffles from chocolate: chips, bars, wafers, etc. Melt it down in the microwave, add a little cream (or parve substitute), roll into balls, and dip for decoration.

For example, I made orange and raspberry chocolate truffles a little while ago. I took a few high quality chocolate bars, melted them in the microwave, added a few splashes of cream, and divided it into two. One got orange extract, one got raspberry. Then I let them cool most of the way. I rolled them into balls and dipped them into different things (I've done chocolate sprinkles, colored sugar, chocolate shavings, just plain cocoa, even more melted chocolate for a shell.)

You can do chocolate with mint flavoring, if that's what you're looking for. It's very versatile, too. I actually made a pumpkin center by using canned pumpkin, cinnamon, and allspice, and dipped it in chocolate last year in the fall. Went over well!

The only problem with this is that the biggest flavor is whatever chocolate you use. I'm really not such a fan of most parve chocolates, although a good quality dark is good! Parve chips taste funny to me.

Yum...now I might have to make these this week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins