Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Inpatient mental health treatment (frum sensitive)?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:32 pm
Does anyone know of any inpatient mental health treatment centers that are sensitive to frum needs?
I am aware of Archstone in Florida.
Someone told me about a program in Tennessee that also sensitive to frum needs (don't know the name)
Any other places that people have heard of for us to look into?

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 4:00 pm
Contact nevonim they are very familiar with inpatient programs around the US and know the differences between them.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:39 pm
We were in touch with a few people that helped us fing the appropriate place..
Amudim
Avi Mandlowitz and Ezzy Finkel
Mr Feivyshevitz from Relief
Hatzlacha!
Eta: more important than frum needs is specialty of the place. Is it for substance abuse,addiction,eating disorders? what's the age and gender of the patient?
When a patient need residential, it's usually Pikachu nefesh.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:42 pm
amazing, thanks for telling me about this organization,

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sat, Oct 07 2023, 1:48 pm
My hisband did really well in transformations in del ray Florida. There is a frum therapist there named diana. He went for suicide ideation and addiction

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Oct 07 2023, 6:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone know of any inpatient mental health treatment centers that are sensitive to frum needs?
Someone told me about a program in Tennessee that also sensitive to frum needs (don't know the name)

What age? I know of a few

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 08 2023, 9:33 pm
Thank you all for your replies.
My son has always struggled with ADHD and anxiety,/deptression and now at 18, it is manifesting itself as "failure to launch"-- meaning-- he refuses to move on into adulthood. He is currently living at home, refusing to go to college/yeshiva because of various illnesses. It's true that he has some complex medical issues, but they are currently under control (from a clinical standpoint) and he is using it as a crutch to excuse himself from taking responsibility. He also shows some other (serious) symptoms of depression.

When I say "frum sensitive"-- I should clarify. I am not necessarily talking about kosher and shabbos, although those are important. I am also talking about the whole atmosphere of the place---he needs to go to a place that will be respectful of his very sheltered lifestyle. This is not necessarily important for me-- I think he needs any help he can get, but would likely refuse to go if he feels that the staff/administration is pushing some liberal agenda on him.

I wouldn't say that we are in a "pikuach nefesh" situation, but he clearly needs treatment. We have a few outpatient hospital programs in our area, (not NY/NJ tristate area) but we live in a very "woke" area and he is concerned that all of the local programs will (in his words) "will be full of transgender people who have been bullied."

In addition, his depression and irritability have been wreaking havoc on our family life, especiially his younger siblings. I feel terrible saying this, but it would likely be best for all if he is able to begin his journey somewhere else, and come home when he is a bit more stable.

amother Puce, do you have any contact info for some of the people you mentioned? I already reached out to Relief Resources.

mamabird73

Post Sun, Oct 08 2023, 9:41 pm
I'm not sure in-patient treatment is needed at the moment... Does your son's therapist think that this is a good step? Does your son have a therapist?

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Oct 08 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
My hisband did really well in transformations in del ray Florida. There is a frum therapist there named diana. He went for suicide ideation and addiction

When you say he did well.. Is that long term well?
Did they focus on trauma work?
My husband went to wings recovery in California and he did well.. But insurance didn't want to pay anymore and I'm slowly watching him go into bad patterns. Hard to watch.
I'm curious if yours was longer term healing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 08 2023, 9:53 pm
mamabird73 wrote:
I'm not sure in-patient treatment is needed at the moment... Does your son's therapist think that this is a good step? Does your son have a therapist?

Hi: thank you very much for your concern. right now, we are not looking for opinions on whether or not he needs an inpatient program. We are exploring options, as he has made very little progress with numerous therapists (the issue is clearly not the therapists)

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Oct 08 2023, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi: thank you very much for your concern. right now, we are not looking for opinions on whether or not he needs an inpatient program. We are exploring options, as he has made very little progress with numerous therapists (the issue is clearly not the therapists)

Trails in California. Although I’m not sure if they would accept him since he is already 18. And it’s for ages 14 up till 18. Are you looking for trauma based treatment?

alwaystrying

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 7:23 am
amother OP wrote:
Someone told me about a program in Tennessee that is also sensitive to frum needs (I don't know the name)

Have you heard of FRESH START? I think it's in Michigan.
It's a frum-led place from my understanding,
but possibly not a treatment centre, but rather a week-long retreat...
I don't know enough details to know if it would be helpful to you, but thought I'd share in case it was relevant.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 9:19 am
Ezzy Finkel 908-770-5599

Avi Mendelowitz 9175769335
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)