Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Why does my challah spread apart between the strands?

bigbird

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:04 pm
How do I keep the strands together during baking? I let them sit for 10 minutes before going into the oven but as they bake the strands spread apart and ruins the whole look.

Any tips?

realtalk

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:08 pm
It sounds like you're using too much flour while braiding

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:09 pm
When you braid, pull the strands tighter.
Do you roll strands in flour? It should be rather moist than dry.
Also important to have the oven ready at high temperature, so when you pop in the oven, it sets it at that shape.

yersp

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:10 pm
Could be youre not letting the dough rest enough for the gluten to activate. Try mixing your dough for 13 minutes, rest for 5, mix again for 5. Then rest it for 45 minutes and then braid it and bake it.

Also, bake at 225 for 20 minutes, higher the temp to 350 till done.

imabima

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:18 pm
Try re-egging half way through baking

challah58

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:22 pm
imabima wrote:
Try re-egging half way through baking

I did this rosh Hashana cuz I forgot to add the topping I wanted and I got the most amazing beautiful challah of my life! It was so shiny and almost felt honey glazed. 10/10 recommend

bigbird

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 1:01 pm
Wow thanks all for the tips! Now which to try first lol…!

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 1:12 pm
1. Roll the strands in flour before braiding.

2. Oven at high temperature to harden the strands.

bigbird

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 3:05 pm
So some say yes to flour and some say don’t!

Also, when you say high temperature can you be specific? Right now I bake at 175 c for 30 minutes.

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:05 pm
bigbird wrote:
So some say yes to flour and some say don’t!

Also, when you say high temperature can you be specific? Right now I bake at 175 c for 30 minutes.

That is pretty low for challah. What happens is it continues rising and spreading throughout the baking, resulting in drier challah. It will take longer to bake and by the time it's done, your challah may be expanded in a different shape.

From my experience, it's best to let it rise covered with a thin plastic (I use disposable cut plastic tablecloth). Once it rose, you glaze, add topping, and pop it into an oven that was preheated high about 425-450F. Let it bake until the top is browned (about 10 min) and then lower it to your usual temperature.

Adding flour should only be done if:
1. Your dough is too sticky
2. You want your strands to be separate

If this is not the case, it's best NOT to add additional flour.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 6:08 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:

OP, wants the strands to be more separate.

You don't mix the flour into the dough.

You can have slightly sticky dough but you sprinkle a little flour on the table and roll the strands in it to help the strands stay separate and more defined.

shira leah

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 6:19 pm
I flour my strands. I think it helps everything stay separate and not become 1 big lump.

I cover up the challahs with saran for 30 min for them to rise. It prevents a skin from forming on the outside and allows it to proof completely. Proofed completely means when I poke the dough it bounces back halfway, leaving a small dent. Then I egg, bake at 350 for 30-45 min depending on the size. I dont get any cracking/separating between the strands.

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 6:49 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
OP, wants the strands to be more separate.

You don't mix the flour into the dough.

You can have slightly sticky dough but you sprinkle a little flour on the table and roll the strands in it to help the strands stay separate and more defined.

I thought she said the strands do separate and she doesn't want that.

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 7:04 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:
That is pretty low for challah. What happens is it continues rising and spreading throughout the baking, resulting in drier challah. It will take longer to bake and by the time it's done, your challah may be expanded in a different shape.

From my experience, it's best to let it rise covered with a thin plastic (I use disposable cut plastic tablecloth). Once it rose, you glaze, add topping, and pop it into an oven that was preheated high about 425-450F. Let it bake until the top is browned (about 10 min) and then lower it to your usual temperature.

Interesting. I bake mine at 325F and it comes out great on the inside- not dry or over baked (my family is picky about that). And doesn’t spread out weird at all.

How long do you bake at the lower temp after it being baked so high?

amf

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 7:08 pm
I also do 425 for 10 min or so, then lower to 350
It comes out beautiful-moist and fluffy inside, crunchy and golden outside

I never had an issue of the strands separating- I use minimal to no extra flour while rolling/braiding

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 7:51 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Interesting. I bake mine at 325F and it comes out great on the inside- not dry or over baked (my family is picky about that). And doesn’t spread out weird at all.

How long do you bake at the lower temp after it being baked so high?

So there are many factors depending like the type of oven, convection, the recipe, amountof yeast, the way it was mixed.. There are probably over 1000 ways of doing challah and no two are the same.

I found that when I baked it on 350 it would spread apart and the look bothered me. I read lots of baking tips over the years and experimented and liked the results better when baking first on high. I turn it down after 10 min to 325. (I do similar for kugel, but leave it longer on the high temp)
But of course whatever works for everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads