Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Eggplant parm

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:34 pm
Anyone has a scrumtious recipe for it?

IamI

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:14 pm
Yes please...
I'd appreciate one that doesn't take too long to prepare...
My DH loves eggplant parmesan!

elf123

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:28 pm
I have an even better one for eggplant lasagna...it's like a cross between eggplant parmigiana and lasagna...and you can use the no-bake noodles so it's really easy!! It's in one of Susie Fishbein's cookbooks...I think Kosher by Design Entertains. Of course, as with most of her recipes, there are ways to make it easier, I use jarred marinara sauce even though she suggests you make your own (!!!) Do you have the cookbook or do you want me to post it?

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:37 pm
here goes

peel & slice an eggplant
coat pieces in flour/eggs/breadcrumbs
pan fry in olive oil

layer with marinara sauce
oregano, garlic powder and black pepper
then layer with shredded mozzarella
do another layer (I use round 9" disposeable pan)

then bake in toaster oven on low heat (or dairy oven) for about 40 min to 1 hour ...

Bzgirl

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:37 pm
peel eggplant, cut into slices and put salt on it, let it sit with the salt for about 30 minutes, so it it wont be so bitter. rinse.

dip into eggs, and coat with breadcrumbs, fry in a frying pan with oil.

after frying them, put a little tomato sauce on each of the slices, and a piece of american cheese.

you can stack them double (eggplant, tomato sauce, american cheese, eggplant, tomato sauce and american cheese again)

bake in a foil bekelah on 350 for 1/2 hour
its yummy!

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:39 pm
oh make sure the breadcrumbs are flavored ...

and that your family is around when you taste it ... cause it's hard not to eat the whole pan ... Drunken Smile

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:43 pm
to make it less fattening, grill the eggplant until brown on a baking sheet sprayed with oil.

And sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Otherwise it will be eggplant mozzarella or eggplant american cheese.

benny

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:46 pm
My recipe is amazing but a million calories.

Slice eggplant about 1/2 inch slices. Dip in egg and corn flake crumbs. Fry.

Saute 2 onions,1 red pepper,1 green pepper, 1 can mushrooms and 2 tomatos. Mix in a large jar of marinara.

Layer eggplant, then a layer of american cheese, layer of letcho.
Top layer should be letcho.

Bake 1 hour on 350.

Its heaven!!

elf123

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:46 pm
Okay, even though no one responded, I am posting this recipe. It is SERIOUSLY one of the best things I have ever cooked. Do yourself a favor and make it, you won't be disappointed.

Eggplant Lasagna (modified from Kosher by Design Entertains)
1 box no-bake lasagna noodles
1 medium eggplant
salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup unflavored breadcrumbs
olive oil
2 cups ricotta cheese
8 oz. shredded Muenster cheese
16 oz. shredded mozarella
(honestly, though, I think you can use all mozarella if its easier...and I NEVER use all that cheese...I guess you can use it all if you LOVE cheese or have a problem with low cholesterol!)
jarred marinara sauce (not sure how much, prob. 1+ jars)

Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Peel and slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt on both sides. Put slices on a paper towel and top with another paper towel. Place something heavy on top like a can to weigh it down, and let sit for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350.

Heat about an inch of oil in a large skillet on medium flame. Place the beaten egg and breadcrumbs in two shallow bowls side by side. Dip the eggplant slices in the egg, dredge in breadcrumbs and place into the hot oil. Brown on both sides. Remove from pan and drain eggplant on paper towels. (I always end up with a few extra slices of eggplant that don't fit into the lasagna.)

In a medium bowl, combine ricotta and Muenster (again, feel free to use mozarella if you want, and adjust the amount, not of the ricotta but the shredded cheese, if you want.)

Ladle one cup of sauce into the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles (as per the instructions on the no-bake noodles, try not to overlap them as they expand when baking.) Add the eggplant in a single layer.Spread ricotta mixture over the eggplant. Add another layer of noodles. Pour another layer of sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle with 8 ounces of mozarella, (I used less). Top with a final layer of noodles. Cover with remaining sauce, allowing it to drip down the sides. Top with remaining mozarella, or as much as you'd like.

Pour about 3/4 of a cup of water around the sides of the pan. Bake covered for 1 hour, uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:50 pm
I guess I'm nobody ...

elf123

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:52 pm
Now Greeny, I meant that no one responded to my offer to post the recipe for Eggplant Lasagna....please smile again! Do you have any green smiley emoticons?

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:06 pm
Mr. Green now I want eggplant parmigiana Nervous (real breakdown not laughter) Shooting Arrow

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:35 pm
I make a delicious semi-dietetic recipe for eggplant parm. The one catch is that it takes up a lot of cookie sheets, so you may have to start earlier to fit two batches in the oven.

2 medium-small sized eggplants
eggs
flavored breadcrumbs
12-16 oz. shredded cheese
marinara sauce

peel and slice eggplant, either way, in length or in circles. Egg and bread them. Spray a few cookie sheets and layer the slices that there should be no open spaces left on the bottom of the sheet, pieces can and should overlap a bit. Spray again on top. Put into a 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until lightly brown, NOT CRISPY, just cooked. Wait till slightly cool, so you don't burn your fingers (as I have done multiple times when in a rush). In a 9x13 pan layer one of eggplant, again with no pan showing thru, overlap or tear pieces to make it work. Pour about 1/4 to 1/4 of the jar marinara sauce over the layer and spoon smooth. Then sprinkle a layer or either the cheapest or lowest fat shredded cheese. If I buy two packages of 8 oz. cheese, I try to buy two types like cheddar and mozzarella, or muester etc.. keep layering until you run out of ingredients. Make sure to have the cheese as the top layer. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 45 min- 1 hour or until the cheese is bubbly and brown.

It is delicious. I used to serve this with homemade french fries and salad, but it is a bit heavy and it is so good, that I would rather just serve more with just salad or something. YUMMMM!!!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 10:22 pm
Thanks! I make parm a few times and was looking for other ways too but I wanted to know how I can add in veggies to it, will it change the taste?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 11:04 pm
I really don't know. the closest I came to having veggies in there was a chunky marinara sauce. I think the texture should be more creamy. I have a great recipe for a roasted veggie pasta casserole if you want me to.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 11:21 pm
this is what I do any times. I call it The parmesean express!
I cut my eggplant into bite size chunks. I then coat them in egg, and corn flake crumbs that were spiced with salt, pepper, and onion garlic...

I fry them in a pan, and when they are all crunched up and soft inside, I add a jar of marinara sauce and then add shredded cheese, all in the same pan. It is deliiiiicious!! you can serve this over spaghetti too!

sky

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 5:39 pm
Very easy and not so fattening:
Layer in a 8x8 pan (or double in a 9x13 pan)
cornflake crumbs
peeled eggplant sliced thinly
cornflake crumbs
pizza sauce
shredded cheese.
repeat until all the eggplant is used up (about 3 layers).
Finish with eggplant covered in cornflake crumbs.
Bake tightly covered for 1 1/4 hours.
Uncover and pour ontop
8 oz. tomato sacue
2 tbsp. oil
1/3 cup sugar
mixed together.

Bake 15 minutes uncovered at 400.

It is very very good.

agh

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 8:53 pm
elf123 I made your tonight it was delicious... took a while but worth it

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 9:01 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Thanks! I make parm a few times and was looking for other ways too but I wanted to know how I can add in veggies to it, will it change the taste?

I've never done it together with it, but add zuchinni rounds and fry the same way, or other vegetables that doesn't take that long to cook and look pretty with it. I mean pretty that it ends up being appr. the same shape. I can't think of other ones.

proud_mama

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 9:05 pm
for eggplant parmigian (sp?) with a different twist, I slice the eggplant legnthwise as thinly as possible, coat in egg, then in breadcrumbs and matza meal mixture with salt and pepper, then bake it on 400 for 10 minutes, flip over and bake for another ten minutes. then put a spoonful of maranara sauce on each slice, spread it, sprinkle shredded cheese, and roll it up, put all the rolls side by side in a pan, spread some more sauce on top, sprinkle some cheese over it all, and bake covered on 350 for 1/2 hour. serve each roll as an individual portion.
I like this cuz its way less fattening, controls portions, even if you have 2 (or 3) its probably less then you would eat as a square of the layered parmigian.
I make this in bulk and put in smaller pans just enough for one supper, and freeze them. I freeze it without the cheese on top, and without cooking it, when I take it out of the freezer, I defrost it overnight in the fridge, sprinkle cheese on top, bake it and presto!, what an easy supper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals