Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Does anyone NOT serve Fish on Shabbat?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 12:05 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I throw an almost untouched fish in the garbage every week. Does that count?
Then why do you bother? BAL tashchis is a mitzvah. Take the money you waste on the fish and give it to Tomchei Shabbos or a similar org.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 12:06 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Fruit salad is my standard dessert LOL
much of the time we don't have dessert unless there's company.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 12:09 pm
zaq wrote:

Same.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 1:37 pm
zaq wrote:

There's no way I'm skipping dessert. For me it's a total must.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 1:39 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Same.

Sorry for the question but there's no fish, no soup no chulent, no side dishes you said and now dessert unless you have company.
So what so you serve for Shabbos?

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 1:45 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Sorry for the question but there's no fish, no soup no chulent, no side dishes you said and now dessert unless you have company.

I'm not shabbatiscoming, but we serve a lot of fresh salads and roasted vegetables, a meat or chicken main course, rice/potatoes/quinoa/othercstarch, challah and a few spreads. Fruit for dessert if we feel like it.

For a dairy meal we may swap the meat with fish or tofu or a legume-vased main dish and incorporate cheeses into the salads.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:37 pm
We serve challah dips roasted broccoli and cauliflower and everyone gets a huge plate piled huge with steak over salad. We also have soup but it usually just sits and goes into the garbage.
Shabbos day we have challah dips salad eggs and a big meat board. We also have cholent but it usually sits and goes into the garbage.
We go traditional when we have guests.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
We don't. Would you think it's weird and judge someone if they didn't?

I don’t judge anyone for what they do or don’t serve. Personally, I’m not a big fish person and could totally do without that course, but my husband (who by the way also doesn’t really eat fish!) insists.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:04 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

We have challah, chicken, salads, a carb side.
We never eat chicken during the week, only leftovers from shabbat. So the chicken dish, sometimes pargiot, sometimes kababs, is special for shabbat.
And I know there was a poll here a ehile ago about soup. Not everyone does that.
And I hate to break it to you or anyone else but chulent is not something everyone eats either.

I asked you earlier where you got thst there had to be 3 or four courses. You never answered me.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:40 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
We have challah, chicken, salads, a carb side.
We never eat chicken during the week, only leftovers from shabbat. So the chicken dish, sometimes pargiot, sometimes kababs, is special for shabbat.
And I know there was a poll here a ehile ago about soup. Not everyone does that.
And I hate to break it to you or anyone else but chulent is not something everyone eats either.

I asked you earlier where you got thst there had to be 3 or four courses. You never answered me.

There is no Halacha one needs three or four course meal.
On a weekday we have one course and sometimes soup and main course plus some fruit as dessert.
Since Shabbos is supposed to be more elaborate we spend more time it the table and serve more courses.
Every time I've been invited it's always minimum a three course meal at a minimum.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:59 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
There is no Halacha one needs three or four course meal.
On a weekday we have one course and sometimes soup and main course plus some fruit as dessert.
Since Shabbos is supposed to be more elaborate we spend more time it the table and serve more courses.
Every time I've been invited it's always minimum a three course meal at a minimum.

So we obviously travel in different circles.
I know many who have only the main or a salads course and then the main.

Not sure why you feel you need to disect my post.
I dont do your way and you dont do mine.
We all elevate our shabbat meal in different ways. Not sure ehy my posts specifically need do much attention. 🤔

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 4:02 pm
zaq wrote:

We don’t have dessert even when there IS company, which is almost every meal, every shabbos and Yom tov.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 4:05 pm
we don't.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 4:20 pm
We’ve been having tuna ceviche lately for Friday night and we LOVE it and it’s so light!
Only my husband likes gefilta fish and salmon was just too much food. This is the perfect appetizer!

etky

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 4:27 pm
I like fish very much and so do some of my family members but others do not eat it at all.
So I serve chicken or sometimes meat as a main course. Having fish as a first course would be too much, especially on Friday night when we always have soup as a first course. My family loves soup and it wouldn't be Shabbat w/o it (even in mid-summer...) so there's no way I'm changing that.
That said, I will occasionally serve a small portion of fish (usually salmon or gefilte fish) alongside the plated green salad that is our standard first course for Shabbat lunch, for those who want it.
When I do that I personally do not eat the chicken/meat from the main course - only the sides, which usually includes some sort of kugel too which is filling in and of itself.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:46 am
amother OP wrote:
We don't. Would you think it's weird and judge someone if they didn't?
Nope. I believe that everyone has the right to run his/her household as s/he sees fit, provided that nobody is neglected, exploited or abused. You want to serve seven course meals on Shabbat, go ahead. You want to be
vegan and furthermore serve only unprocessed raw foods, go ahead, as long as you know what you're doing so everyone's nutritional needs are met.

Nor do I care what color or fabric tablecloth you use or if you rely solely on placemats (though I will wonder how you keep your antique mahogany dining table in such good shape if this is the case) or if you keep your licht on the table or on a sideboard, or if your challah is homemade or store-bought.

My nose is firmly attached to my face and doesn't go where it doesn't belong. I can't possibly be unique in this.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note