Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chubby or beginning to develop?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 2:28 pm
My 8 year old is chubby. How do I know if she is beginning to have breast buds or simply chubbiness in the area? Not due for a well visit for a while...

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 2:33 pm
Likely puberty as it’s common. I’d take her in for a check up and not wait a while. At 8 they might want to run tests depending.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 2:36 pm
Would the actual nipple be getting larger first or the area around? Almost just seems like area around is just extra chubby...

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Would the actual nipple be getting larger first or the area around? Almost just seems like area around is just extra chubby...

The area around it

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 3:08 pm
My DD started showing breast buds at age 7, almost 8. She's 11.5 now and still hasn't gotten her period. She only started really needing a bra this past summer. I think in her case, it was extra fat and not precocious puberty.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 3:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 8 year old is chubby. How do I know if she is beginning to have breast buds or simply chubbiness in the area? Not due for a well visit for a while...

You'll know if it's puberty based on pubic hair. When there's a light fuzz the answer is clear.

Orangehead

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 3:17 pm
amother Sand wrote:
You'll know if it's puberty based on pubic hair. When there's a light fuzz the answer is clear.

Hair growth is controlled by progesterone. Breasts are controlled by estrogen. They usually happen at similar times but not always. You can be starting puberty with buds alone.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Sand wrote:

Can’t depend on that, can be one without the other and reverse order.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 4:15 pm
Agree and sometimes chubby keeps develop earlier

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 4:17 pm
Why would she need doctors appointment for that?

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 4:52 pm
amother Brown wrote:
Why would she need doctors appointment for that?

If it's precocious puberty

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 5:48 pm
How do I know when to get DD almost 11 years a bra?

amother
Poppy

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 7:17 pm
The first thing is breast development. Then hair starts down there. But it's a slow and steady process. If you are concerned then make an appointment. Some girls with more body fat develop earlier. And some girls just start earlier. My cousin got her period at 10. My mother got it at 12. In those days that was early. The norm used to be 13-16. Our children are exposed to more fat and chemicals. And yes, this has been proven. My 10 year old just started. We used undershirts at this stage. When the bump shows through the undershirt you start using training bras. My 12 year old just a bra when the training bras were too tight.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 7:51 pm
amother Latte wrote:
My DD started showing breast buds at age 7, almost 8. She's 11.5 now and still hasn't gotten her period. She only started really needing a bra this past summer. I think in her case, it was extra fat and not precocious puberty.

This is encouraging. Did you have it checked out at that point?

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 9:28 pm
My daughter is 7 and I also noticed recently she looks more chubby there but she’s not a chubby kid…. I started putting on undershirts under clingy stuff but in the winter most things don’t show through.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 12:26 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
The first thing is breast development. Then hair starts down there. But it's a slow and steady process. If you are concerned then make an appointment. Some girls with more body fat develop earlier. And some girls just start earlier. My cousin got her period at 10. My mother got it at 12. In those days that was early. The norm used to be 13-16. Our children are exposed to more fat and chemicals. And yes, this has been proven. My 10 year old just started. We used undershirts at this stage. When the bump shows through the undershirt you start using training bras. My 12 year old just a bra when the training bras were too tight.

My daughter is definitely showing through her undershirt and sometimes shirt but it doesnt seem big enough for a bra. What does a training bra do and where would I buy that?

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 12:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is encouraging. Did you have it checked out at that point?

Yes, I asked the ped and she said "oh! I see what you mean but those are BARELY breast buds." She wasn't concerned.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 1:03 pm
A lot of kids pack on weight for a year or two before they develop. My daughter who was always stick thin is now quite chubby at age 10 and developing breast buds (I got my period at 11 so it won't surprise me if she's an early bloomer). My ped said that this happens to a lot of kids and then they shoot up and even out, which is what happened to my teen son as well. He was chunky for a couple of years and then grew six inches in a year and is now proportionate, tall and muscular.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
My daughter is definitely showing through her undershirt and sometimes shirt but it doesnt seem big enough for a bra. What does a training bra do and where would I buy that?

Anyone?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 4:07 pm
training bras Hanes

Just a sort of half undershirt that covers a bit more
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics