Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
At what age-pocket knife
Previous  1  2

what age do you Allow your child to have a pocket knife
10-11  
 9%  [ 5 ]
12-13  
 16%  [ 9 ]
14-15  
 9%  [ 5 ]
16-18  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Never  
 58%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 53

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:13 pm
Dh bought one for my 11 year old. We gave him some rules to use it safely and if he is not responsible, we take it away. He’s not allowed to bring it to school. He has to ask permission to bring it out of house.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I trust him. He's a very safe kid. I would be more concerned about his classmates accessing it.

My son has one and is not allowed to take it to school. It stays at home.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you have boys?

Yes! Never heard of any boys carrying them around. I assume the cheder would not be ok with it.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:19 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Yes! Never heard of any boys carrying them around. I assume the cheder would not be ok with it.

I thought it was just my son who was into them because my husband likes them too. But maybe it is trending right now with the boys?
In any event , I think a pocket knife is safer than a smartphone Very Happy

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:20 pm
Over bar mitzvah.

And is mature, responsible.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:53 pm
Now I'm wondering how many of my sons friends with knives are considered mature and responsible and are not allowed to bring them to school. These are 15 year olds, forget bar mitzva age.
PS. Please check your sons' arms. The boys enjoy scratching themselves with the blades as a kind of show off competition.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:37 pm
I think it is ossur to cut yourself on purpose.

I know there is a mental illness where people cut themselves.

Definitely tell sons not allowed.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:50 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I think it is ossur to cut yourself on purpose.

I know there is a mental illness where people cut themselves.

Definitely tell sons not allowed.

Teenagers like to live on the edge. They don't really think before acting.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 4:42 pm
My Dh loves a pocket knife, and he wants our boys to have them as he had. I am reading these stories and knowing my sons I think it is probably not the best gift for them.

We have 1 boy in my older sons class that is very active and violent, I am always concerned for what toys he could bring and in a fit of activity use against the boys in his class. I tell my son to keep away from him.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 4:53 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I thought it was just my son who was into them because my husband likes them too. But maybe it is trending right now with the boys?
In any event , I think a pocket knife is safer than a smartphone Very Happy

Lol!

effess

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:28 pm
Great tool
Never for school
My son has a few, he carved wood with it, and other outdoorsy stuff. Never compromise on rules.
I vote 12

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:46 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Just an FYI....a couple of years ago, there was a minor disagreement between the boys in my neighborhood and the girls (all were around age 9-10 or so at the time) about who gets to occupy a certain clubhouse. One of the boys pulled out a pocketknife and waved it in the girls' direction. And yes, they felt threatened and vacated the premises. And yes, his parents took appropriate action when they heard about it.

As such I'm going to say, 9-10 is too young for a pocketknife. 13 might not be. I don't know, I don't have boys.

My son in 9th grade in yeshiva was threatened by a boy with a pocketknife to give over all his money and snacks- this year! I finally told the boy in any other school if a teenage student walked into school with a knife they would be suspended and investigated and put on a watch list. If he dares bring or use that pocketknife to intimidate or threaten my son again I’m calling the police. His response “I was only joking, I wasn’t actually going to hurt him”! I’m sorry if he was joking he wouldn’t have taken the money or snacks. True he probably wasn’t going to actually hurt him, but intimidating and threatening someone with a weapon is criminal on its own. Be VERY careful what and how your kids use their knives. Even if they don’t harm anyone with it using it as a form of intimidation is illegal. I know it’s common but personally I don’t understand it. I have all boys and still don’t get it and neither do my boys.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics