Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
The great toy debate
Previous  1  2

myname1

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 4:24 am
amother OP wrote:
So yesterday I moved it all to the basement. After school my 3 year old was kind of looking for toys. He didn't want to go downstairs even with me and I ended up giving him water coloring at the table. When toys are upstairs he would play more independently, I realized.
I may bring some toys back up.

I wouldn't expect a 3 yo to want to be alone playing in a basement ever! As a kid I played in the basement constantly with friends and siblings, but that was from an older age. (I think with older siblings from 5/6ish?) A 3 yo needs to be close to you, especially if the only one, so think about what you can have nearby and how you can keep it so it's tolerable. Maybe a small closet in the living room, a couple of bins you can rotate.

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 7:03 am
I have most toys downstairs and have a pretty box upstairs with some toys that they can play with upstairs. It’s easy to dump in at the end of the day.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 7:16 am
I think the difference between the toys upstairs and having them downstairs is that downstairs it's an activity they choose, stay and play with x. Upstairs he kind of plays for a bit, takes one toy brings it around to another spot, let's it become a car...that idea.
I have some baby toys upstairs in a decorative box but he's past that now.
I think I like the idea of the main floor being a toy free zone but I'm not sure I'm being realistic.
How do people keep their upstairs toy free? Is there a secret?

myname1

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 7:33 am
amother OP wrote:
I think the difference between the toys upstairs and having them downstairs is that downstairs it's an activity they choose, stay and play with x. Upstairs he kind of plays for a bit, takes one toy brings it around to another spot, let's it become a car...that idea.
I have some baby toys upstairs in a decorative box but he's past that now.
I think I like the idea of the main floor being a toy free zone but I'm not sure I'm being realistic.
How do people keep their upstairs toy free? Is there a secret?

Ask their kids to grow up? Don't worry, he'll get there one day!

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 7:45 am
I keep most of the toys in the basement playroom and always keep a small rotation of baby/toddler toys on the main floor. Lego they can keep in their rooms (chv can't mix them up!).
I don't mind if the kids bring up a toy or two here and there and play in the main area.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 7:54 am
Op I don't think it's realistic or good for your child to have zero toys upstairs.

DREAMING

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 8:40 am
We do the art/ crafts at the kitchen table. I have space in a kitchen cabinet for all of these things. It makes for easier cleanup.

Young children I allowed one or two toys upstairs to be played in a designated area. (Magnatiles and little people) before bedtime it needs to be back in a bin.

If you spend time in the basement they get used to being there.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 10:00 am
For my baby, 9 month old, I have a basket of toys on each floor , 1st and 2nd floor for her.
So When I make beds in the morn. She has toys to play with and not just random shoes, lol)

My 4 yr old brings himself every day after school a toy to my first floor, usuually a puzzle, now its a driving toy..in the bedrooms I only let books, although of course I always find random pieces of toys in the room ..

This is only until 6:00 after supper my older kids go down and take my baby with.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics