Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood Bubble
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

small bean

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 11:53 am
Ok these people you're talking about are not people I have ever encountered here.

UQT

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 11:53 am
Maybe the bubble isnt the worst thing. Didn’t dovid hamelech daven shivti bbais Hashem Kol Yemei Chayei? Approve or not many people are doing this

Signed,
Someone outside the bubble who doesn’t care how people decide to live their life.

small bean

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 11:55 am
UQT wrote:
Maybe the bubble isnt the worst thing. Didn’t dovid hamelech daven shivti bbais Hashem Kol Yemei Chayei? Approve or not many people are doing this

Signed,
Someone outside the bubble who doesn’t care how people decide to live their life.

I agree with you.

This was more am I part of a bubble and am just clueless.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:01 pm
im from lakewood

there is def a bubble here and its not exclusive to yeshivish people.
there is a certain obliviousness to the outside worlds culture and to the fact that the world does not revolve around lakewood fashion/culture (shocking I know.)

people here dont feel touched by antisemitism.. we're comfortable we're safe we're still busy with the regular day to day life... and oh by the way nebach theres a war in EY.

there are def a group of ppl who are very sheltered from the news and outside world more intensely.. but the BUBBLE does not only refer to those ppl.

I know ppl are going to jump on my head.. im not hating on anyone here.. many ppl ARE aware of whats going on.. this is just my experience

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:05 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
They have no internet access and don't really read newspapers either. They rely completely on their roshei yeshiva to tell them what to do every step of the way (like who to vote). They think we are completely safe in America and anyone who is worried is crazy.

And btw it's not just in the area of politics. My sisters in law are extremely sheltered and naive in general. Like in the area of pregnancy, they have no clue about anything. I once mentioned to a sister in law (who had a few kids) that I took progesterone in the beginning of a pregnancy to try to prevent a miscarriage. She innocently asked me "what's progesterone?" My jaw dropped. I'm like sweetheart, do you have ANY IDEA what happens in your body during the monthly cycle and pregnancy?

Oh please. Not knowing what progesterone is just means she was blessed with easy pregnancy and never encountered any problems. It has nothing to do with a bubble. She is just as likely as anybody to face illness of any kind and then she may unfortunately know way more than you about things like cancer, infertility, mental illness or other sickness that may not have touched your life. Disease is the ultimate in equal opportunity.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:28 pm
I’m not from Lakewood originally but I’ve been here over 15 years. DH has a bunch of aunts and uncles (cousins less so, more of the younger generation has “burst” the bubble) who are like the people described here. There are definitely lots of them. But among the younger “cooler” people there’s also a bubble, where they see Lakewood as the center of the universe. Kind of like here on Ima - used to be more common that people would post asking questions without a location because of course they were in Brooklyn, center of the universe, and now that attitude is prevalent in Lakewood.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
im from lakewood

there is a certain obliviousness to the outside worlds culture and to the fact that the world does not revolve around lakewood fashion/culture (shocking I know.)

people here dont feel touched by antisemitism.. we're comfortable we're safe we're still busy with the regular day to day life... and oh by the way nebach theres a war in EY.

there are def a group of ppl who are very sheltered from the news and outside world more intensely.. but the BUBBLE does not only refer to those ppl.

I know ppl are going to jump on my head.. im not hating on anyone here.. many ppl ARE aware of whats going on.. this is just my experience

That’s weird. There’s plenty of antisemitism here having zero to do with Israel- and specifically having to do with (as one coworker informed me) ‘people in Lakewood only caring about themselves and other Jews- and not anyone else’. As a patient’s family member asked/informed me in the middle of my office hallway ‘are you from Lakewood? I hate those people’. I’m not from Lakewood, so I was shocked to hear the animosity.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:45 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
They have no internet access and don't really read newspapers either. They rely completely on their roshei yeshiva to tell them what to do every step of the way (like who to vote). They think we are completely safe in America and anyone who is worried is crazy.

And btw it's not just in the area of politics. My sisters in law are extremely sheltered and naive in general. Like in the area of pregnancy, they have no clue about anything. I once mentioned to a sister in law (who had a few kids) that I took progesterone in the beginning of a pregnancy to try to prevent a miscarriage. She innocently asked me "what's progesterone?" My jaw dropped. I'm like sweetheart, do you have ANY IDEA what happens in your body during the monthly cycle and pregnancy?

Huh? What does not know what taking progesterone means, have anything to do with being naive and sheltered?????? It means that it doesn't apply to her and she never had to take it bh.
I'm sure you don't know about every medication & illness out there, especially one's that don't apply to you.

mha3484

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:56 pm
I'm out of HS two decades already but we learned in 9th grade bio about estrogen, progesterone, testosterone etc the basic hormones that make us male/female so I can see where the poster could be surprised if that was something she learned in school and felt like basic knowledge. My guess is there is a big range when it comes to that subject in different bais yaakovs across the country.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I'm out of HS two decades already but we learned in 9th grade bio about estrogen, progesterone, testosterone etc the basic hormones that make us male/female so I can see where the poster could be surprised if that was something she learned in school and felt like basic knowledge. My guess is there is a big range when it comes to that subject in different bais yaakovs across the country.
And not everyone retains what they learn in science class.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:07 pm
I don’t know anyone who isn’t deeply affected by the war. In Lakewood we have very deep connections to eretz Yisroel.

I send to an old time yeshivish Lakewood school and my kids know the tehillim names for the people their class has “adopted” in eretz Yisroel.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:08 pm
They obviously never stepped foot here. Having grown up in Brooklyn I got the nasty judgement about brookyners. I moved to lakewood get the nastiness about here now. I have concluded it’s their issue, the ones with the judgement and placing huge communities into boxes. How can thousands of people be identical? It’s amazing if you think about it.

amother
Milk

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:09 pm
small bean wrote:
I was born and raised in lakewood. Got married and stayed in lakewood. I'm real deal lakewood. My husband went to the rally. No one in lakewood, said a negative word to us about it. I actually feel like all my lakewood family and friends are free thinkers, who do what's right for them.

Why on imamother, am I always being told about a bubble? Where is this bubble?

The bubble is a state of mind, only there if you allow it to be. If your mind is open, you’re not in a bubble. A bubble doesn’t have a geographic location.

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:09 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Huh? What does not know what taking progesterone means, have anything to do with being naive and sheltered?????? It means that it doesn't apply to her and she never had to take it bh.
I'm sure you don't know about every medication & illness out there, especially one's that don't apply to you.

Progesterone is basic high school biology

But anyway that was far from the only comment she made. Believe she me she is very sheltered and naive.

Unrelated to general knowledge, but to prove the bubble, one time she came with her kids to visit us in the summer (we don't live in lkwd anymore). We were going to the park and she like "it is so scary to walk here! There are so many g*yim!" I almost burst out laughing

amother
Milk

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:10 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Now that everyone has internet at work it doesn’t really exist anymore.

20 years ago Lakewood was a lot more insular.

I agree with you about the rally. It just wasn’t a topic of conversation.

I strongly disagree with this. I know people who are so insular, yet their minds are so open. Insularity does not mean that you are in bubble

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:11 pm
im from lakewood

This is simply not true. We probably deal with the most antisemitism on a daily basis. Are you joking? Are you sure you live here? Ami, mishpacha, yated etc.. had great write ups. You don’t need the internet to be informed about what is happening. They covered every topic.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:14 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:

But anyway that was far from the only comment she made. Believe she me she is very sheltered and naive.

Unrelated to general knowledge, but to prove the bubble, one time she came with her kids to visit us in the summer (we don't live in lkwd anymore). We were going to the park and she like "it is so scary to walk here! There are so many g*yim!" I almost burst out laughing

Ok, you clearly have an agenda towards your sister in law and are just happy to have an opportunity to mock her.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:21 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:

Omigod. Leave her alone already. There's a bubble around you that is so hate filled about her. Jeez

small bean

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:23 pm
Ok, I decided I'm part of the bubble and proud.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:24 pm
small bean wrote:
Ok these people you're talking about are not people I have ever encountered here.

Because every community has a few of those. And saying a community of thousands is represented by the few people who are not typical is beyond ridiculous. They know it and we know it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries