Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Kid jobs for shabbos.... Hacked!

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 7:54 am
Just discovered a much easier way to cut toilet paper. And if you usually give this job to kids.. show them...

Also, what jobs do you give to kids?

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 8:12 am
My 6 year old prepares the candles
Another child has to unplug and remove all the chargers and wires from around the house
Another child makes a Duncan Heinz cake almost every Friday. I just have to put it in the oven and take it out.
My 3 year old can unload the dishwasher (the silverware mainly).
My older kid sets the table
One child cuts paper towels

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 8:25 am
singleagain wrote:
Just discovered a much easier way to cut toilet paper. And if you usually give this job to kids.. show them...

Yes! I learned this trick in Seminary. Such a time saver.

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 8:42 am
Wait, is there a different way to cut toilet paper than the way in the video?

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 8:44 am
I cut the toilet paper like this if I can't convince my 4 year old to rip it (she's not old enough to use scissors like this).

She helps me make soup by adding the ingredients I chop. Means I don't have to keep moving.

My kids are in charge of putting all the muktxa toys into the designated muktza cabinet (which gets locked).

They play nicely for an hour after school Friday so I can cook in peace- that's the biggest help

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 8:55 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
Wait, is there a different way to cut toilet paper than the way in the video?

Not that I often cut it but just like a paper towel roll and you know roll some out rip roll some out rip

new oldie

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:04 am
singleagain wrote:

I don’t like this. My family used to cut the rolls with scissors like 30+ years ago but the pieces are either too long or too short. Just rip it uniformally. Or buy the precut.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:24 am
We buy ready cut toilet paper for Shabbos. Easiest hack!

srbmom

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:38 am
Quote:
I don’t like this. My family used to cut the rolls with scissors like 30+ years ago but the pieces are either too long or too short. Just rip it uniformally. Or buy the precut.

This is how it was in my parents house and I never liked it. We sit and tear it all to the same size. DH or I do it when we're watching the little kids in the bath. Takes 5 minutes to do 2 rolls (plenty for 2 adults and 5 kids)

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:48 am
We use tissues. Very Happy ....if we run out then kids take the case and take off the tops and open each box so they are ready but only need to do every few weeks
Some jobs my kids have:
Prepare shabbos candles
Set the table
Put on shabbos tablecloths on kitchen and dining room table
Take ends off string beans
They like to cook so I try to have them help me with something food wise
Make sure their room light s are ready for shabbos
Put all timers on auto
The jobs can vary from week to week.

After they take a bath and dona job they get about a half hour of screen time. They all runnnnnn to be ready and beg for their jobs. Lol

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 10:28 am
We use tissues for shabbos. We make sure to have in each bathroom and a few extra opened as backup.

My kids sweep and wash the floors in the dining room, clean up toys, vacuum, clean up the couches that get filled with books and stuff over the course of the week, put away silverware, empty the small garbages from around the house (bedrooms and bathrooms), and clean the bathrooms (sink and toilet).

If there is time and desire, my 10 year old daughter will bake a cake, peal garlic cloves for roasted garlic, bread my shnitzel and/or make most of my cholent. My 6 year old loves helping me cook and bake too.

My kids range from 6-20, but my older ones are in yeshiva and not home, so the brunt of the work lands on my 6-almost 14 year old.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:17 pm
singleagain wrote:

I thought of this myself a long time ago and found it to be more trouble than it was worth. The pieces come out in graduated sizes, the last ones being too small to be worth much, and it's not nearly as easy to cut as you would think.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 11:27 pm
I'm gonna sound thick but why are so many ppl still ripping toilet paper in 2023???? The cheap facial tissue flush just as well or they sell precut toilet paper for very cheap. I'm literally amazed at how many ppl responded to this post. Never went to a house on shbs that had hand-cut toilet paper in my life and I'm over 30

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:08 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I'm gonna sound thick but why are so many ppl still ripping toilet paper in 2023???? The cheap facial tissue flush just as well or they sell precut toilet paper for very cheap. I'm literally amazed at how many ppl responded to this post. Never went to a house on shbs that had hand-cut toilet paper in my life and I'm over 30

I'm over 60 and most people have hand-cut paper. That includes my kids who are over 30. The little precut folded paper that is made for dispensers and is so annoying when it's in shul washrooms is utter garbage and a nuisance to handle. And even cheap facial tissue will eventually clog the pipes. Oh, it goes down your toilet very nicely, but further down the road it doesn't disintegrate the way toilet paper does. Eventually all those "flushable" tissues and wipes end up clumping together and cause massive sewer backups.

Toilet paper is not facial tissue on a roll; it's formulated differently. facial tissue prides itself on its "wet strength" so when you blow your wet nose into one, or blubber into it at your grandmother's funeral, the tissue holds it and it doesn't go through to your hands. Toilet paper is meant to fall apart in water.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:59 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
I'm over 60 and most people have hand-cut paper. That includes my kids who are over 30. The little precut folded paper that is made for dispensers and is so annoying when it's in shul washrooms is utter garbage and a nuisance to handle. And even cheap facial tissue will eventually clog the pipes. Oh, it goes down your toilet very nicely, but further down the road it doesn't disintegrate the way toilet paper does. Eventually all those "flushable" tissues and wipes end up clumping together and cause massive sewer backups.

Toilet paper is not facial tissue on a roll; it's formulated differently. facial tissue prides itself on its "wet strength" so when you blow your wet nose into one, or blubber into it at your grandmother's funeral, the tissue holds it and it doesn't go through to your hands. Toilet paper is meant to fall apart in water.

Actually tissues don’t always cause backups. Newer houses are built for them.
I live in a 20 year old condo and in the last 20 years we had a backup once when someone new moved in and used flushable wipes.
Those are absolutely not flushable and give plumbers loads of money 💰
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note