Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Did you speak about Israel as a young child with Family?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 4:45 pm
OP here. Thank you for your reply's. May we all be Zoche to come for the Geula Shelaima.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 7:34 pm
Did my parents talk about Israel being the place for all Jews? They didn't have to. In the 1940s they were staunchly Zionistic idealistic young singles who made aliyah because they believed in Israel as a Jewish homeland and it was up to them to build it. Which they did, though by the late 1950s the poverty they experienced was no longer endurable. They were willing to starve themselves but not willing to let their children starve or live off charity, so back to America they went. But my dad told stories all the time of his experiences before and during the War for Independence. We kids all attended Mizrachi-affiliated schools (Mizrachi not in the sense of "edot hamizrach" but in the earlier sense of Zionist organizations American Mizrachi, World Mizrachi, Mizrachi-Hapoel Hamizrachi) where an Israeli flag stood in the corner of every classroom alongside the American flag and a map of modern-day Israel was always on the wall. The school provided space for Bnei Akiva to meet Shabbat afternoons, we learned Ivrit beIvrit, marched in the Salute to Israel parade, the music teacher taught songs of Eretz Yisrael, we had an assembly every Yom Haatzmaut, and the school lunch on that day featured cupcakes with blue and white frosting and a tiny Israeli flag on top. We kids got Keren Kayemet pushkes and were sent out to collect.

But my parents never preached to us. That wasn't their way. War stories and education, yes; preaching, no.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 7:37 pm
No, it was never a conversation.
When Moshiach comes thats the place for us. We always spoke with hope for that day to live in Eretz Yisroel in peace , with all yidden!
Till then it's a very nice thing. But was never spoken as an ideal. And never discussed it as a way to keep safer. Hashem should protect klal yisroel wherever we are

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 7:46 pm
Yes
Chabadnik here.
Visited often when I had money for I
Moshiach is coming well all be there.
Tons of relatives there
Yeshivas for kids
Send tzedakah there all the time
Created tzedakah fund for ppl there
Get our Tefillin and mezuzos from EY.
We can’t wait to come there
If I had money for it I’d buy a property in Yerushalayim

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Op here. Sounds like you were in for a shock. That move must have been traumatic. just picking up and leaving. By us we knew one day we would get there.
Are you still living here or went back?(only if you feel like answering).

I left.

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:43 pm
Talked about often. my whole not religious family was extremely communally involved. They made many trips over the years. I went in college. But living there no.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:51 pm
My parents are not religious and spoke about it a bit. Was raised with a very strong love for e"y. Had a brother that fought in the army a few years ago too BH. Lately the talk has been about israel being the only safe place for us so my parents are thinking of making aliyah.
DH and I are hoping to make aliyah next year
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics