Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shoe Store: "They're great at fitting"
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 12:57 pm
S/o of other thread. For my new walker, I went to a shoe store recommended both here and IRL for doing a great job fitting. I won't specify which or which town due to LH. The fitter measured my baby's foot for just a second and then asked which shoes I liked from the showcase, they got them and put them on and that was it.

Is that a typical experience? I was surprised because both me and my husband have wide feet and I assumed my baby would be hard to fit too.

Based on my experience, I don't think I'm going to bother with a Jewish store for the next pair. I spent a ton of money for basically no service.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 1:05 pm
From something you wrote, I’m assuming you’re in Lakewood.
I would only recommend shoe dream for expert fitting. The owner has a knack for getting it right. He makes it seem like it’s no big deal but he can pick up in a second if the shoe is a drop too big or too tight. Would it have made you feel better if you were told that the shoe didn’t fit properly and then you chose another one? Maybe you were lucky that the shoe you liked fit well too. The first pair of shoes is really important. It’s good that you took your baby to get his feet measured.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:09 pm
Same story here but with older child. Took to a Monsey store for a child with wide foot and high instep and all they did was keep bringing a bigger size so her foot would actually go into the shoe. Thanks very much I can do that myself. Of course the shoe had way too much room in the front.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:31 pm
I'm in Brooklyn. The store I went to measured the foot and also told me which specific shoes are good for my child based on how wide the foot it, their type of step etc
They did not let me choose any shoe I wanted.
They really do make sure it's a well fitted shoe

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Same story here but with older child. Took to a Monsey store for a child with wide foot and high instep and all they did was keep bringing a bigger size so her foot would actually go into the shoe. Thanks very much I can do that myself. Of course the shoe had way too much room in the front.

Lol same. The store only had one brand left that runs narrow and long. They should have not even bought it in size 20 because most babies have wide feet. Bh I had the brains to go across the street and get a shoe (the one I would have bought) that had a good cut.
On the other hand I went to a different store I wanted a sale shoe and he told me not to take it because of the instep, something I wouldn’t have realized myself.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
From something you wrote, I’m assuming you’re in Lakewood.
I would only recommend shoe dream for expert fitting. The owner has a knack for getting it right. He makes it seem like it’s no big deal but he can pick up in a second if the shoe is a drop too big or too tight. Would it have made you feel better if you were told that the shoe didn’t fit properly and then you chose another one? Maybe you were lucky that the shoe you liked fit well too. The first pair of shoes is really important. It’s good that you took your baby to get his feet measured.
Teschers is supposed to be better than a shoe dream.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:36 pm
I think shoe fitting is overrated. It’s not rocket science. I think it’s a more of an old fashioned concept.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:36 pm
What monsey store is good for first shoes?

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:45 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
I think shoe fitting is overrated. It’s not rocket science. I think it’s a more of an old fashioned concept.

I agree.

Just try it on.
Too big? Try a smaller size.
Too small? Try a larger size.
Too wide? See if it comes in a narrower width.
Too narrow? See if it comes in a wider width.

Ta dah! I can be a shoe fitter.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:53 pm
amother Grape wrote:

Been to both. I think I would recommend shoe dream.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:54 pm
I am in Lakewood.. what did I say that gave it away?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:

I agree, a relative managed a shoe store for many years and was known as a great fitter, he said all it is is measuring the size, and determining if the foot is wide or narrow.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:57 pm
amother Grape wrote:

I also had a great experience at Teschers. My daughter has a hard walk and had been fitted previously at a “good fit” store. She did not walk well in those shoes.
Mrs Friedman (Teschers) knew exactly what she needed. She walks way better in the shoes from Teschers.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:57 pm
amother Seablue wrote:

Can you elaborate?

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:59 pm
DrMom wrote:
I agree.

Just try it on.

Until my daughter had a difficult walk, I would have thought so. But the truth is that different shape shoes or different style soles etc are good for different types of feet.

For example there were two shoes my daughter tried on. Both seemed similar to me but mrs friedman showed me how one fit better. After she showed it to me, I saw why.

Mrs Friedman from Teschers also does orthopedic corrections if a child needs it.

kenz

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 3:26 pm
DrMom wrote:
I agree.

Just try it on.

This is true if you have very typically shaped feet, but if you have anything a little unusual - normal width with narrow heel, wide instep, etc., then it can be quite difficult to find the right shoe and often a shoe that seems to fit will become uncomfortable with wear. It takes someone who knows what to look for and what different shoes from different companies run like to fit these types of feet properly.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:50 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
I had a bad experience with my new walker and a shoe dream and never went back. To each theIr own

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:21 pm
Stam curious
The rest of the world -7billion ppl dont have shoe dream or teschers to go to
Do they all have problems buying shoes?

Perrys

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:33 pm
I’ve been very happy with sole connection

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Stam curious
The rest of the world -7billion ppl dont have shoe dream or teschers to go to
Do they all have problems buying shoes?
My parents live oot and there’s a really nice shoe boutique near them. They only sell American shoes, no Spanish or Italian, but they measure the foot and check the fit same like they do in Lakewood.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics