Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
SEPHARDI-STYLE PIZZA

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:31 pm
This was good - and easy. I didn't make pizza dough as I used some from the store.

I have my doubts as to whether Middle Eastern Jews have been making pizza for centuries. LOL Maybe using lavash or similar flat bread as there are lots of cuisines all over the world that do some variation on that. I have eaten some Ethiopian food that uses injera instead of a plate.

SEPHARDI-STYLE PIZZA

Excerpt From: Judi Rose - 100 Best Jewish Recipes

SERVES 6 | MAKES 2 X 25CM/10IN PIZZAS

OVEN-READY PIZZA FREEZES FOR 3 MONTHS

Middle Eastern Jews have been making this very special version of pizza for centuries. It is made, of course, without cheese and is topped instead with cumin-scented minced beef. Defrost frozen pizzas at room temperature for 2 hours, then bake as though freshly prepared.

FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH

7g/¼oz/2 tsp easy-blend yeast or 14g/½oz/¼ cake fresh yeast
300g/11oz plain flour
1½ tsp salt
1½ tsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 egg
150ml/5fl oz hand-hot water

FOR THE TOPPING

1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
450g /1lb lean minced beef
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
10 grinds of black pepper
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 good pinch of Cayenne pepper or chilli flakes
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp lemon juice
125g/4½oz frying wurst (kosher beef salami)

If using easy-blend yeast, mix with the flour, salt and sugar; if using fresh yeast, dissolve it in the water. Mix all the ingredients together to form a soft but non-sticky ball of dough (add some extra flour if necessary); knead by hand or machine until smooth.

Put the dough in an oiled mixing bowl, turn it over so that it is coated with the oil, then cover with cling film and leave in the kitchen until double in bulk – about 1 hour.

To make the filling, cook the finely chopped onions in the oil, covered, until softened and golden, then mix in a bowl with all the remaining ingredients except the wurst, using the hands to make sure the mixture is evenly blended together.

Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas 8. Grease two baking sheets or 25cm/10in pizza pans. Divide the risen dough in half, knead each portion for 1–2 minutes to distribute the gas bubbles evenly, then roll or press out into 2 x 25cm/10in rounds and place on the baking sheets or in the pizza pans.

Spread each round with an even layer of the filling, making sure the dough is covered right to the edges, then decorate with finely sliced wurst. Bake for 15 minutes until the meat is a rich brown and the wurst has curled. Serve at once.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics