Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How much screentime do you think kids SHOULD have each week?

How much screentime is ideal for kids to have each week?
none  
 52%  [ 89 ]
under an hour  
 17%  [ 30 ]
1-2 hours  
 18%  [ 32 ]
2-3 hours  
 2%  [ 5 ]
3-4 hours  
 1%  [ 3 ]
more than 4 hours  
 5%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 169

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 5:48 pm
This thread will be looked at and compared with this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....93999

as part of a discussion with my poor ds who bemoans the little bit of screentime I allow him.

I'm asking about kids around 11 years old.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 5:49 pm
Does reading count?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 5:51 pm
A limited amount of reading can be overlooked I think.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 5:59 pm
I think it depends on what they want to use it for. I have different rules for videos that I find brainless and activities like games that make you think, or my son likes to use mercava or has some nerdy hobbies like history videos. So if your learning something or using your brain ill give you more time. If you want to watch shtus Id say max half hour.

ftm1234

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 6:07 pm
No kids should have any screen time.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 7:44 pm
Do we count facetiming family as screentime? What about watching videos and pictures of themselves?

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 7:50 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
A limited amount of reading can be overlooked I think.

So it's hard for me to vote. My kids get no screen time in a standard week, but I do allow them to read on the tablet once they've finished all their library books. I don't really care how much they read on the tablet as long as the blue light screen is on.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 8:09 pm
I tell.my children that nothing good comes out of watching other then addiction.
If they want "educational" they could read a book.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:30 pm
What do you consider screentime?
My kids (who used to squabble non stop) are now bonding beautifully playing on the nitendo switch, together. I love it and I think its very healthy.
They also watch educational things like science channels etc.
Then they practice typing on typedojo. Also beneficial.
And they zone out a bit by watching some entertaining things like Mark Rober (again, usually somewhat educational).
Im not against any of this.
It could be a good hour a night, maybe more.
And im not looking to curb it, I think its wonderful.
BH theyre wonderful, healthy, well adjusted kids who do also do imaginative play, read books, ride bikes, etc

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:40 pm
We do ONLY on Sundays.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:49 pm
Ideally no screentime at all, but we don't live in an ideal world and we have to use what we have in a reasonable way.
I say about 1-2 hours weekly.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:32 pm
Ideally none.
We will occasionally watch something on Chol Hamoed. Otherwise, even educational stuff, my kids got addicted and nervous and I just stopped it and they're much happier and occupy themselves better on their own now.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:43 pm
None is best.
I let my kids play games on a tablet for 30 min/day. I wish I didn't, but it's the ONLY quiet time I get after school.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:10 am
You said ideal, so I chose none. I don't give my kids screen time on a regular basis. I let them watch or play games on a tablet when they're at a doctor's appt/waiting and I allow them to watch their camp videos at the end of the summer. Otherwise, they don't watch.

When my older ones were little, I allowed 1 video a day. As they got older, it was getting harder. They argued about what to watch, how loud it should be, who sits where. Then they started complaining about wanting to watch more. So I put a cold turkey stop to it. It was a harsh adjustment but ultimately, it was much better for our family.

ima_bima

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:15 am
No screentime. We're lubavitchers, 6 kids aged 8 and under.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:29 am
None on a regular week however they watch plenty on chol hamoed or vacation days. If someone is home sick for a few days in a row I’ll allow screen time too.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:29 am
The screentime I give my kids is for my peace of mind and to bribe them. Most of their friends get none so they’re happy with what they have. I do consider Nintendo switch screentime. The visuals are very advanced and it’s very addictive.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 3:25 pm
I think half an hour a day is ideal for kids over 2 (and zero screen time for kids under 2). We use screen time as an educational tool (shows or games about reading, math, science, history) as well as a language tool (we live in Israel, we use it to boost the kids' English). However, in reality my ~11 year old gets 45-50 minutes a day (2 shows or 1 show + game/app). I wrote about this in the other thread. No screen time at all before age 2, only educational screen time (shows or apps/games) until elementary school, and then a mix of educational and fun at elementary age but only English shows/games/apps to help the kids' English.

So in reality, I think a little less screen time would be better, but I personally am pro screen time if it is used in the right way.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:44 pm
We used to give so much screen time and it started during covid and I just was never able to stop. It went up & down over the years.

Recently, I realize that my toddler is spending over an hour each day watching things on the phone and, first of all it's bad for her brain and second of all, who knows what she's even watching half the time because nowadays you can't trust anything.

I cut out ALL screen time other than approved audiobooks & kindle reading except for Friday & limited on Sundays. So they went from daily to twice a week.

I thought it would be a huge adjustment for my kids and I was absolutely shocked that no one even protested.

I'm ashamed it took me so long. It's definitely hard for me but I've been changing my schedule a little so that I can take my toddler with me on errands if it means keeping her busy and I've been baking with her to entertain. Yes the house is messier, no I don't care.

I hope to keep it limited & maybe limit even more!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics