Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Spices and Cultural Background
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 7:30 am
I grew up with
Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, parsley, dill, cinnamon

These days my mother is more experimental with her spices. I expanded my cooking as well to include curry powder, basil, ginger and more.
I mostly still cook with the ones I grew up with.

European background: Russian & German

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 7:37 am
I grew up in an Irish Catholic family and didn't know about spices other than salt and pepper until I converted in Israel. Wow, I had a lot of catching up to do! Now I use the works- paprika, curcum, camun, hawadj, chili etc etc. They make fun of me locally because I'm an Irish redhead who looooves hilba.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 8:14 am
I have well over 60 dried spices and spice blends, from all different types of cuisines in my pantry, as well as some of the Dorot style frozen seasonings/herbs in my freezer. I also use lots of fresh herbs and garlic.
However - my 'core' spices that I cannot live without and that I use inordinately more than all the others are granulated garlic, onion powder, ground black pepper and sweet Hungarian paprika (I have 5 other types too that I use less frequently..).
Runners up are cumin, cinnamon, oregano and basil.
I do like to keep on hand spices that are broadly representative of more exotic cuisines but I suppose
the bulk of my cooking can be classified as American style Ashkenazi Jewish and generic Israeli.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen