Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Tuition for pre 1a non kollel
Previous  1  2

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
We made it very clear that next year will need to be less since we have two boys in a row and they were ok with that. Extremely accommodating which makes me more mad that my husband committed

I believe u can still call them up and tell them you went over your finances and you don't see how you can do this amount.

did they tell you a firm amount for next year ? because I have multiple kids in school and they usually just double...

keym

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:50 pm
What's the breakdown?
Tuition?
Bussing (if you don't live in Lakewood)
Sunday bussing?
Lunch?
Dinner?
Building fee?
Cheder camp?
Book fee?
Registration fee?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
We made it very clear that next year will need to be less since we have two boys in a row and they were ok with that. Extremely accommodating which makes me more mad that my husband committed
Gam zu Letovah. You’ll be ok BEH. The school committed to taking less next year. So you’re just talking an extra few thousand this year

Maybe you can negotiate that they count part of this years payments towards your family building fund, so you have less to pay in the future.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 5:43 pm
Yes I am trying to think positively. We value our child's chinuch more than anything and this is very worth it I just hope we can actually afford it

dena613

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 6:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I am trying to think positively. We value our child's chinuch more than anything and this is very worth it I just hope we can actually afford it

Please don't use up all your savings on tuition
You need it for a down payment one day iyh

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 6:35 pm
Bh we own a home already but it does need construction and I can think of other ways to spend the $

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 10:51 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
This.
My rule when negotiating tution is to get it as low as possible, because whatever it is this year is going to be the starting point for next year.
Tution never goes down, only up (if you're lucky stays the same)

is this really true? it seems like it is since many posters agreed.

It makes no sense to me

Im in similar situation as op. or oldest is bh going to primary next year. We agreed to pay full tuition. At that point we thought it was feasible. If we buy a house ( which we need) It may be tight.

I assumed further down the line, when we are bh paying multiple tuitions we would discuss further.

why on earth would it be a given that we pay full tuition when we have a handful of kids in school? one kid for one year is feasible. Do people ask for breaks before their first starts primary since they know they may need it down the line? even if they can easily afford it at the time?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 10:54 pm
Tuition in tiferes yisroel is 7500. I’m a parent there.

The cost of Chinuch is 9k which is completely optional to pay.

Then there’s lunch which is income based

And building fee is a one time $2500 which can be paid over the 9 years your kid is in cheder and it’s once per family.

Bussing is location dependent but after AIL shouldn’t be more than 1200

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:10 pm
amother Pink wrote:
is this really true? it seems like it is since many posters agreed.

It makes no sense to me

Im in similar situation as op. or oldest is bh going to primary next year. We agreed to pay full tuition. At that point we thought it was feasible. If we buy a house ( which we need) It may be tight.

I assumed further down the line, when we are bh paying multiple tuitions we would discuss further.

why on earth would it be a given that we pay full tuition when we have a handful of kids in school? one kid for one year is feasible. Do people ask for breaks before their first starts primary since they know they may need it down the line? even if they can easily afford it at the time?
Let’s put it this way, every time I enroll another kid in the school they negotiate a higher tuition for each of my kids. And every time I need to point out that paying more tuitions leaves me with less money per kid, not more Can't Believe It

So it’s not like they automatically let me keep my discount. I need to plead my case every time anyway.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:12 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:

And building fee is a one time $2500 which can be paid over the 9 years your kid is in cheder and it’s once per family.

So op is committing to the cost of chinuch. Yes it pays to renegotiate op. Tell them you crunched the numbers and it doesn’t work out.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:23 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:

Can you please explain what cost of chinuch means? Why is that different then tuition? And is it 7.5 +9 or either or?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:12 am
Right. Cost of chinuch. Why is that different than tuition? That's the cost so why shouldn't we try and pay?! And yes I am including the busing, lunch fee, building fee, Sunday bus

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Right. Cost of chinuch. Why is that different than tuition? That's the cost so why shouldn't we try and pay?! They said if we pay tuition cost it's not full tuition. Full tuition includes cost of chinuch. And yes I am including the busing, lunch fee, building fee, Sunday bus

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 9:10 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Can you please explain what cost of chinuch means? Why is that different then tuition? And is it 7.5 +9 or either or?

some schools take the attitude that they don't want to deal with giving scholarships to the vast majority of parents so they pick an amount they think a decent amount can afford. if you take the school budget and divide it by number og kids though the amount is more, which means the amount to educate the child is more then the tuition charged for the child. they then request that anyone who can actually afford to pay how much it costs for the service they are receiving aka cost of educating child do so

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:22 am
amother Clear wrote:
some schools take the attitude that they don't want to deal with giving scholarships to the vast majority of parents so they pick an amount they think a decent amount can afford. if you take the school budget and divide it by number og kids though the amount is more, which means the amount to educate the child is more then the tuition charged for the child. they then request that anyone who can actually afford to pay how much it costs for the service they are receiving aka cost of educating child do so

The issue with this is that many schools actually make it so complicated and it's more than just checking off a box saying that I'll pay the full amount.
Most people are not going to spend time chasing down the tuition office to pay more than is standard so they don't really get that many parents doing it. I had this in two schools.

Also for me personally, I'd rather get a tax deduction on a charitable contribution so I'll just give a lot more by the dinner to make up for it instead of calling it tuition. If I were to school I would have a box that says 'the actual cost to educate a child is x more, please check off if you would like to make a donation towards that 2 our scholarship fund.'

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 1:26 pm
You should only be paying money you have coming in. You should not be dipping into savings for monthly expenses. If you are earning 1000 and bills would be 1100, you would need to be earning more money so that you're not spending more than you're earning. Tuition is another bill, yes it's important to pay, but it should be what you can afford.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 1:36 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Let’s put it this way, every time I enroll another kid in the school they negotiate a higher tuition for each of my kids. And every time I need to point out that paying more tuitions leaves me with less money per kid, not more Can't Believe It

So it’s not like they automatically let me keep my discount. I need to plead my case every time anyway.

THanks for your response.

If we can afford one tuition, hopefully, we agreed to pay it. I assumed we were agreeing to pay it for a year.

Down the line once we have multiple tuitions and other expenses, as much as I would like to pay full tuition, I know it may not be feasible. Once I get to that point, I would ask for a break.

Does this make sense? or should I ask now since we may need it in the future?

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 3:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right. Cost of chinuch. Why is that different than tuition? That's the cost so why shouldn't we try and pay?! And yes I am including the busing, lunch fee, building fee, Sunday bus

Bec it is.
It costs them this much, but they understand it’s a lot to ask for so therefore their fee is 7500. But they fundraise for the difference. And parents that could afford to, happily pay it.
Most people don’t pay it and they happen to be one of the easiest school to deal with about tuition breaks. So understanding and accommodating. If you feel overwhelmed call them and tell them. What’s the worst that’ll happen
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries