Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Simple, good Shabbos food for a crowd

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:19 pm
We are getting together, a lot of people for Shabbos Chanuka. I want to start cooking and freezing this week. I'm making challah and possibly meat pie.

What else can I make that will freeze well? Not doing potato kugel. I don't do fruit or tomatoes.

Mains, sides, deserts. Others will fill in whatever I don't do.

bargainlover

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:31 pm
Here’s what I make for shabbos that freezes well:
Challah
Chicken soup
Knaidlach
Lokshen
Potato knishes
Orzo with pastrami
Cabbage and noodles
Broccoli kugel
All desserts - cakes, cookies, pies, ice creams, sorbets
Deli roll
Salt and pepper kugel
Marinated cutlets ready to grill

lfab

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:37 pm
Most meats freeze beautifully, and that's usually the easiest main for a crowd (though not necessarily budget friendly). You can also bread and freeze schnitzel raw, then just cook day of. Same can be done for grilled chicken, marinate and freeze. Take it the night before and leave in fridge overnight to defrost and grill on Friday.
For sides many kugels can be made and frozen ahead such as broccoli kugel, noodle kugels, zucchini mushroom kugel, etc. You can also freeze deli roll, mushroom or potatoe bourekas, carrot muffins, and fruit crisps.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 7:29 pm
Boneless dark chicken cutlets (with skin, sometimes known as capons), stuffed with kishke or wild rice or pastrami, glazed with duck sauce. Freeze raw or mostly cooked.

Orzo can be frozen once cooked and rewarms well. Or if you want something that doesn't need a pot you can do mushroom rice in the oven but make it fresh.

Frozen broccoli and cauliflower florets can be spread on cookie sheets and roasted fresh. Or roast assorted vegetables day before and rewarm (but does get very soft which not everybody likes).

Salmon you can rinse and freeze in pans. Mix up topping and freeze separately. Combine and bake fresh.

Chicken soup make in advance, strain and Freeze clear broth.

Noodles for soup, cook and freeze.

Soak cholent beans and freeze. Add in measured out raw barley. Mix up seasonings for cholent and freeze separate.

Bake cakes, cupcakes and cookies and freeze.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics