Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Feeling bummed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 1:54 pm
Heading into Chanukah
Need to fix this asap so it x trickle down to my kids

Just a case of feeling stuck - we hav eno where to go nothing to do and not much money to do it with! But for real we’ve been home since pesach with no change of scenery . Home alone rh and sukkos cuz I just had a baby bH
Wishing that we can go away or do something fun but lacking the resources financially and emotionally right now . Just want to dig a hole and stay there

Yes I bough crafts and will bake with the younger ones but the older ones (teens) will think it’s nebby and they want to do more . They want larger gifts we cant do right now. They want to go to family parties like their friends but our family lives too far away they will be bummmed and I don’t blame them

I don’t expect anyone to find a magic solution for me . Just desperate to work this out for myself so I can deal with them

Also for myself feeling like there is so much I wish for and wishing that I can just be happy where I am right now instead

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 1:58 pm
Is it a possibility for you to host a chanuka party at home for friends and family?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:07 pm
I make a chanuka party just for us. I make a fancy supper, have some of the teens prepare a game or 2. Decorate with dollar store stuff. Put on music. Buy ice cream or make a fun dessert. Some years I make homemade donuts. It ends up being a lot of fun and my kids always remember it.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Heading into Chanukah
Need to fix this asap so it x trickle down to my kids

Just a case of feeling stuck - we hav eno where to go nothing to do and not much money to do it with! But for real we’ve been home since pesach with no change of scenery . Home alone rh and sukkos cuz I just had a baby bH
Wishing that we can go away or do something fun but lacking the resources financially and emotionally right now . Just want to dig a hole and stay there

Yes I bough crafts and will bake with the younger ones but the older ones (teens) will think it’s nebby and they want to do more . They want larger gifts we cant do right now. They want to go to family parties like their friends but our family lives too far away they will be bummmed and I don’t blame them

I don’t expect anyone to find a magic solution for me . Just desperate to work this out for myself so I can deal with them

Also for myself feeling like there is so much I wish for and wishing that I can just be happy where I am right now instead

Mazal Tov on your baby. What an amazing gift to your older children.
Staycations are a thing, scout out stuff to do locally that you never thought of before. And I will let you in on a secret, no matter what you do, how much money you spend on gifts, your kids will call it nebby.

I bet under that grumbling of nebby, there is an admiration for you that you dont even realize. Providing a happy, warm home is an amazing feat these days.
Can you challenge your teens to plan original entertainment for the fam's Chanuka evenings together? Sort of like a night activity for after you light, each night something else. You provide the latkas and doughnuts, choc coins and whatever, and they present the nights games, including an appropriate dvar torah. They can spend the afternoon planning it - bonus points if they use stuff in the house for it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:25 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
I make a chanuka party just for us. I make a fancy supper, have some of the teens prepare a game or 2. Decorate with dollar store stuff. Put on music. Buy ice cream or make a fun dessert. Some years I make homemade donuts. It ends up being a lot of fun and my kids always remember it.

So I work hard on this every year - each night we decorate the supper table with diff fancy paper goods and have special food craft dessert and games . Older ones already finding it boring. Teen boys running back to yeshiva and are waiting for their big Chanukah vacation but I have no idea how to make it special for them anymore . And teen daughter will also get overlooked in all this- she just feels like a camp counselor when she helps me with all this and wants something geared to her ?

I get it I just feel like I can’t win

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:30 pm
Maybe you can allow your older ones to have their friends over for a party?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:32 pm
Danielle Renovs chalympics changed our chanuka! Is that something your kids would enjoy?

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:36 pm
Dh works every night of Chanukah. It always bothered me that my kids will remember chanukah as being the time daddy comes home, we rush to light, and he runs out 30 minutes later. So I took small steps to make changes.
One year I started by buying chanukah paper goods & we use that for supper every night. I buy the tablecloths that u can color & kids enjoy that.
I try to play a small game with them. Matching or something simple and easy that doesn't involve much prep or take too long as the little ones have to get to bed and I'm not a very patient person.
You can check out game ideas from peas love and carrots. If you don't have Instagram she has it on her website too.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:39 pm
give your teens a budget and tell each of them to plan a program for a different night.
Can also include decor and supper.
or you can make it fun and do a theme like the world and they have to make a supper and program with a country like italy china etc.

belovedaz

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:51 pm
Are you in the NY area? U can go to a communal lighting like in prospect park. One night there's always music and festivities. Stay home with the Littles and let dh take all the big ones.
Also, giving the reins over to them and letting the teens plan is a great idea.
My oldest is 10 so she's just starting to not be interested in kiddie stuff but thinking to have a donut decorating contest one night, only using stuff already in the house. Gonna let the 3 big ones be creative and let dh be the judge!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:19 pm
We did MasterChef style competitions with teens during COVID and it was a lot of fun. Every night 2 pple. (Including adults) competed and everyone else voted. Then the top 2 competed against each other.
We also did paint night that was fun for the older girls- look online for chanukah painting and everyone can paint their own.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:21 pm
Such good ideas! Paint night and master chef sound like fun! Ideas for the Little’s I have plenty of it’s the teens I need to focus on ..,

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:22 pm
Follow up- what’s the easiest way to do paint night - ready kit not crazy$$$$$ like I saw one on site

scruffy

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Follow up- what’s the easiest way to do paint night - ready kit not crazy$$$$$ like I saw one on site

Look on Youtube for a tutorial. There are lots of easy paint night style ones.

Buy canvases, the colors of paint needed for your specific tutorial, and paintbrushes.

You can get these either from a craft store such as Michaels, or if you don't mind lower quality, there are lots of supplies in Dollar Tree too.

Have fun!

wife101

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

Buy your own stuff (canvas, paint etc). use a youtube video for the instructions

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:30 pm
I’m handicapped in that area! Will forget something or spend hours trying to find the right one …
Can anyone link a good one that worked for them and ordering was fairly simple !

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:34 pm
new board games are fun and easy.! We do paint pouring. (look it up on YouTube) it takes no skills all ages can join and is tons of fun.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:37 pm
We've done paint nights with YouTube. We found a painting that we wanted to draw and we put the computer on a table and we watched and did it and it was really fun.
Another idea, which may or may not be in your budget is to take the kiss to the dollar store or a five below type of store, each of them picks at another child's name and they need to buy something for that child and put a hint on the presents and wrap it.
Then somebody reads the hints out loud and everybody guesses which child it's for.

Another idea is, taking out all your craft things and everybody needs to come up with a homemade minora or something related to Hanukkah and then you judge who's is the best..

We're making cookies one night and decorating donuts another night or making homemade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics