Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Getting recommendation letters from teachers

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:35 pm
One of the seminaries DD is applying to asked for 2 things:
1) a form completed by the principal includes rating and answering specific questions.

2) a recommendation letter (freestyle, no specific requirements).

Principal completed the form and forwarded it to the seminary.
Teacher wrote a letter and submitted it to school who forwarded it to seminary.

I asked if I can get a copy of the teacher letter (I asked both the teacher and the school) and they said their recommendations are always confidential. I didn't ask for the principal form because I didn't think they would give.

I guess that makes sense but I wish I could see what this teacher actually said. We'll need more letters for other seminaries, college, scholarships etc and it would be helpful to confirm that she writes the way we want. I would also love some nachas.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:58 pm
This has always been standard. Recommenders, whether for seminary, college, or jobs, are not supposed to share their letters with the people they're recommending. Not sure why, but that's always been how it's done.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
This has always been standard. Recommenders, whether for seminary, college, or jobs, are not supposed to share their letters with the people they're recommending. Not sure why, but that's always been how it's done.

The obvious reason why is because they want to encourage honesty from the recommender and that’s more likely to happen if they’re not showing the letter to the person they’re writing about.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:36 pm
Even teachers and principals could be bias Daven that they view your daughter favorably. I once had a teacher tell me your daughter gets excellent marks and is well liked. I realize because of those 2 facts the teacher nor the principal really knew her.

The other thread about the camp not letting a kid come back and coming up with a lame excuse just shows me how well these princpals and seminaries have the upper hand and we are at their mercy.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 3:00 pm
References are supposed to be honest about each girl and their strengths and weaknesses. It wouldn’t make sense for you to be able to see.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 3:24 pm
On a seminary recommendation letter, are they really supposed to say anything negative about your DD? I thought that they only try to say how awesome you are? (and maybe avoid mentioning the negatives)

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 3:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
On a seminary recommendation letter, are they really supposed to say anything negative about your DD? I thought that they only try to say how awesome you are? (and maybe avoid mentioning the negatives)

It's more a matter of what they say and how they say it. I do remember that back in my days I got two letters of recommendation from teachers, and for some reason they were not in sealed envelopes so I was able to read them. I still have tears in my eyes when I remember how much it meant to me to read nice things about myself. I had such a negative self image and I couldn't believe that my esteemed teachers actually recognized real positive traits in me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info