Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Anyone else not do gifts?
Previous  1  2

hodeez

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 6:54 pm
Nope bwe get a dreidel pekelach from krm for each kid, and every night after lighting each kid can have one item from it

pause

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 8:03 pm
I grew up with gelt and not gifts. But honestly, I do give gifts. Kids don't understand the value of money the same way we did. The idea is to reward/encourage them for learning Torah, so today's days that means a gift which is appreciated way more than money.

I know people who b'shitta give money but then take the kids to the toy store so they can buy something immediately with that money.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 8:08 pm
not anymore. gelt and latkes and donuts. not gifts.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
We also don't. It's not a Jewish custom. We give Chanuka gelt.

We also do gelt.

It's not the same as a gift. It's money not a present. Even if you want to by yourself a gift.

amother
Hosta

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 8:23 pm
I grew up with non Jewish grandparents on one side of the family . They always sent us Xmas money. My Jewish grandmother not frum sent gifts and my Chasidish surrogate grandparents gave tons of gifts to all their grandkids , us included. It was the highlight of our Chanuka . The gift giving stopped once they ka”h had over 50 grandkids and it was too much .

amother
Bellflower

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 9:03 pm
I grew up with the concept that gifts are copying the g*yim. We were told this on school every year. We did Chanuka gelt and still do. My yeshivish Pas Yisrael-only kids davka do gifts. Go figure.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 10:37 pm
Our minhag is to do gifts. I’m not sure how far back it goes but I remember my great grandparents giving gifts.

As for gelt our minhag is to give to the rebbeim not the kids.

funkyfrummom

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 10:46 pm
When my kids were very young, we just did gelt as I felt giving presents is copying the non jews and the *other holiday...

However, my daughter went to a school where all of her classmates received big gifts (at least, that is what she told me) and she really nudged and I gave in. (Most of the girls at her school were from a different community than ours.)

She's 17 now and my son is 20. He gets just gelt-- on the 5th night. For her, I wrap up 8 presents. None are big ticket items... like this year there was a body wash, a fashion necklace, flavored chapsticks, a tiny sequined bear, etc. She gets to choose 1 present to open each night. I really wish we just did gelt, but for now it is what it is.

Chocolate gelt is available all 8 nights, though. Wink

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 10:51 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Our minhag is to do gifts. I’m not sure how far back it goes but I remember my great grandparents giving gifts.

As for gelt our minhag is to give to the rebbeim not the kids.

Has your family been in America for many generations?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics