Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Jewishbakebox.com time sens

newinbp

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:52 pm
Hi,

Are items from jewishbakebox.com toiveled? It’s a part of Menucha publishers bigger company. Please reply if you know it’s time sensitive, explained below thanks.

In Boro park we were gifted a box delivered that said jewishbakebox.com in collaboration with Yeled VYalda for Hanukkah. We opened it and it’s a mini donut maker, metal cooling rack, and all the ingredients pre measured to make donuts.

Would the metal cooling rack and donut maker be pre toiveled? I feel so stupid I have a regular cooling rack and we could have used it but my kids were so excited to use everything from the box, and I can’t reach anyone erev shabbos Chanukah to ask. I called the number on their website and it’s a part of the larger Menucha publisher company based in Boro park, that’s all I could find out.

It was addressed to one of my kids, and I have no idea from which Yeled dept it’s from since I have other kids involved in other Yeled depts who did not receive this, and it didn’t say from which Yeled dept. I didn’t post this to cause any hard feelings from others participating in Yeled so please forgive me, I asked simply to know if the items are toiveled and ready to use upon opening the box.

Maybe some imas on here subscribe to these bake boxes and know if stuff comes pre toiveled? Thanks so so much.

Thanks happy Chanukah good shabbos!

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:24 pm
I also work for yeled VYalda
I called the bake box and they said it is NOT toiveled and you need to toivel it

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:27 pm
My Rabbi holds items CANNOT be toiveled before sale or being gifted.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 10:47 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
I called the bake box and they said it is NOT toiveled and you need to toivel it

Seriously?? Why wouldn’t they write that on the info somewhere that was included, I checked everywhere.

newinbp

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 11:07 pm
Oy I’m so so disappointed to read this Sad I figured because it’s a bake box and the whole point is to take it out and use everything easy peasy that it would be ready to use, especially since nowhere was written to toivel it or any info about it not being toiveled prior. I have a donut maker and cooling racks so I feel extra dumb I could’ve just used my own, but everyone was excited to use it all out of the box/use the gift.

I guess I can learn from this to always trust my gut, if something feels a little off to address it even if it means disappointing kids and saying I’m sorry we can’t use this now etc. Just was such a nice thing to have everything ready to go Sad

Gut voch and thanks all for your responses

newinbp

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 11:07 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:

I called the bake box too and didn’t reach anyone. Do you know which dept of Yeled sent this gift? Thanks

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 11:13 pm
newinbp wrote:
Oy I’m so so disappointed to read this Sad I figured because it’s a bake box and the whole point is to take it out and use everything easy peasy that it would be ready to use, especially since nowhere was written to toivel it or any info about it not being toiveled prior. I have a donut maker and cooling racks so I feel extra dumb I could’ve just used my own, but everyone was excited to use it all out of the box/use the gift.

I guess I can learn from this to always trust my gut, if something feels a little off to address it even if it means disappointing kids and saying I’m sorry we can’t use this now etc. Just was such a nice thing to have everything ready to go Sad

Gut voch and thanks all for your responses

Please ask your rav a sheila. I believe you can still enjoy your baked goods for the first time use of untoiveled items. Again, don't take my word for it, but if I'm not mistaken, the first use is permissible.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 12:25 am
They cant toivel for you if theyre giving it away

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 12:49 am
I got the box with the donut maker but no cooling rack

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:55 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Please ask your rav a sheila. I believe you can still enjoy your baked goods for the first time use of untoiveled items. Again, don't take my word for it, but if I'm not mistaken, the first use is permissible.

I learned that this is a myth and there's no source for it, but I'd love to be proven wrong:)

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:26 am
I also heard from someone reliable that you can toivel before gifting, especially if it is from a Jew to a Jew.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 6:36 am
amother Jetblack wrote:

Unfortunately this is a myth Sad.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 9:16 am
amother Caramel wrote:
Unfortunately this is a myth Sad.

The one-time thing I think is for debatably disposable things that some people reuse. I remember hearing about it connected to a disposable pan that some may reuse. But in this case, it sounds like something was made on a non-disposable pan that was not toiveled. I would suggest to still ask your rav, OP. I recall learning that it is an obligation of the owner to toivel, but toiveling or not does not affect the kosher status of the food. Might still be forbidden, but given that you were trying to find out if you needed to toivel, maybe there's room for leniency.

Shoshie

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 11:06 am
I was in charge of the Mishloach Manot fundraiser at my synagogue one year. Each gift included a porcelain mug. The rabbi said we needed to toivel each mug before packaging it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics