Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chavrusa/Tutoring rates

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 5:11 pm
Curious how much people are paying for a tutor/chavrusa for an upper elementary boy?
Boys in 5th & up, with a rebbe type who learns with boys for extra income.

Not special needs. Regular learning. Per half hour or hour.

Thx!

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 6:28 pm
Also curious how ppl actually find the chavrusas for their sons!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 6:32 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
Also curious how ppl actually find the chavrusas for their sons!

We asked our menahel.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:28 pm
we are paying $80 for 1/2 hr for 7th grade son. (regular good boy) we've made a few phone calls - going rate was $65-$85 for half hr. (we do twice a wk) It's usually men who are rebbeim that do this for extra income at night. my husband had some Rebbi friends who gave us names.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:33 pm
Wow dh started to do this in Boro Park. He’s fantastic, explains well and gets kids so well.
I don’t know how much he asks for.
How do parents afford this?

Regarding finding them: He started with a guy’s son, a man in shul who noticed him learning with a disadvantaged person and thought he’d do well as a chsvrusa for a bar mitzva boy too and asked dh to learn with his son every week.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:41 pm
I pay 75/1/2 hour but he comes for 2 sessions so he gets $150 a night.
Plus it's every night so he has a set income.

We were worried we were under paying.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:42 pm
amother Lily wrote:
we are paying $80 for 1/2 hr for 7th grade son. (regular good boy) we've made a few phone calls - going rate was $65-$85 for half hr. (we do twice a wk) It's usually men who are rebbeim that do this for extra income at night. my husband had some Rebbi friends who gave us names.

We’ve been doing this for a few years, used to pay $40, now we pay $55. I don’t know where you’re getting these numbers from. We use top of the line rebbeim, our last one is now a menahel.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
I pay 75/1/2 hour but he comes for 2 sessions so he gets $150 a night.
Plus it's every night so he has a set income.

We were worried we were under paying.

Your paying someone $150 every night for one hour work and you are worried you are underpaying?? I have a master's degree and don't make that much. Too bad I'm not a rebbe.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:00 pm
I pay 55 per half hour, my Menahel set it up. I’ve been doing this for last 6 years since my oldest was in upper elementary. Used to be35. Always set up by Menahel. People looking for this kind of job reach out to the menahalim because they know that’s who the parents ask. Hatzlacha!

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:04 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Your paying someone $150 every night for one hour work and you are worried you are underpaying?? I have a master's degree and don't make that much. Too bad I'm not a rebbe.

If you tutor privately even not a rebbe you can make that much. A BP teacher just quoted me $75/ 45 minute session with my elementary school aged daughter (no degree, three years experience in the classroom)

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:04 pm
OMG where are these prices coming from?? My husband has been a rebbi for 30 years and tutors at a rate of $60 an hour. Not $150/hr! I wish he got paid that much!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:14 pm
This should probably be moved to a private forum …

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:28 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
This should probably be moved to a private forum …

Why?

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:42 pm
Anyone know why it became a thing that every boy must learn with a private chavrusa after school? That parents need to pay for on top of tuition? I'm new to Lakewood and am being told that I need to get a chavrusa for ds and am just wondering why it's so necessary. (DS is BH very smart and his rebbe still feels that he needs a chavrusa.)

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:46 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
Anyone know why it became a thing that every boy must learn with a private chavrusa after school? That parents need to pay for on top of tuition? I'm new to Lakewood and am being told that I need to get a chavrusa for ds and am just wondering why it's so necessary. (DS is BH very smart and his rebbe still feels that he needs a chavrusa.)

Overall I do think it's a mishegas.

One of my kids needs extra help so we got him a chavrusa.

My next kid they told us to get him one and we said no.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:55 pm
Chahrusas like this aren’t new but making them more “mandatory” might be a trend.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:56 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:

We hv because dh works long hours & was trying to learn with the kids on the phone on his way home and it didn't always work out for the best obviously.

We can afford it so we hv someone essentially doing learning hw with them, husband chazers extra if needed & over shabbos. If you can't, you do not need to.

I do know that some rebbeim are very into that fathers can't always learn well with the boys but if you see that it's working for you there's no need to hire somebody. I don't agree with that viewpoint that it's a must.

I just wanted to make sure we were paying well & it seems we are.

mha3484

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 9:17 pm
My 7th grader learns twice a week with a kollel member. He's so so bored in school this gives him a lot of chiyus.

Hes also a great role model. My son is an oldest without any relatives he can look up to.

It can be a very positive experience for some boys but making it mandatory is so unfair to parents.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 3:30 am
I grew up in Lakewood and I live in EY so I hope I am qualified to chime in.
I think the way it works is the expectation always was for the fathers to learn with there sons.

The chavrusa's are being recommended to kids who it is obvious that the father isn't enough or working out.
As more and more people are overstretched or just aren't good at learning with there kids - the rebbeim are starting to recommend chavrusas to more and more kids.
If your kid is doing well and is happy to learn with his father, you can probably disregard the recommendation.

I do think a lower cost option should be developed. I remember that during covid someone tried to set up avrechim in EY to learn with boys over zoom - let me tell you, my husband tutors a bochur here and he makes about less then 20$ an hour ( 800$ a month/ 4 weeks/ 4 days a week/ 3 hours the guy shows up to first seder= 16.66 $). Maybe that can be back for lower income people....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries