Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How much is a neuropsych eval and what did you learn?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:43 am
I did it privately and it cost 5k. It was completely worth it.

I discovered what I needed to know, that my child had a real need for extra time due to the diagnosis and was able to get the additional time needed from the school and in tests.

It also made me a better mom I think, because I was able to have more patience and understanding that many things were not my child's fault, were due to neurodiversity and that I needed to be more understanding.

I also discovered my child's IQ is in the gifted level and I wouldn't have known all this information if I hadn't had a neuropsych evaluation. Did the eval with a psychologist, PhD in Clinical Psych.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:45 am
amother OP wrote:
So this is basically confirming what I’ve understood until now. My child is very disorganized and can be unfocused, and also very bright BH. We’ve just done a psycho ed eval and it wasn’t scored yet but the evaluator said the child went very high in the scores.
So I’m not concerned with the academics per se but concerned that the lack of organization and focus will be a problem later in life practically.
I am also pursuing a BOE OT eval I hope it will be illuminating.
I don’t see a reason yet to meditate the child.
I guess good coaching would be best but from threads here I see it’s very difficult to get.

If you don’t want meds, and you know what the issue is that he needs help with, then why not just proceed in addressing the issue? I think Ot can be helpful, but also I’m not super sure how much coaching really helps with focus. I think focus sometimes needs meds if the lack of focus is really getting in the way, as that’s really the only thing that makes a big difference. If it’s not a major issue, then may as well start with ot and see how that helps.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:21 am
I want to add that for those that want a quality evaluation but can't afford one, CUNY 's Psychological Center has an incredible staff and they have a sliding fee. They do have a line but it's worth waiting. It's done by PhD students and it's very thorough, if it's for a child they even come to your school and that's included.

https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/psyc.....enter

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:06 pm
Suny downstate does it at no cost I believe.
It’s beneficial to then get services that can help your child that you only qualify for due to the diagnosis.
Other than getting the paperwork and resulting services I didn’t necessarily learn much from the evaluation itself.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 11:43 pm
Chemed does it ( in Lakewood) they take most insurances
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics