Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Photography

how much are you spending on professional pictures
100-200  
 46%  [ 12 ]
200-300  
 53%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 26

Flower25

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:38 am
how much would u spend on photography pictures? have done professional pics of my kids, only getting 4 images for the package I paid. each additional print is additional cost. I dont really have the money to add more photos but there are so many that I like and would love to have. the memories of this time and age kids will not come back, im so undecided what should I do?

Window

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 2:24 am
I hate when photographers do that. You caught beautiful pictures of my kids, why should they go to the garbage? Treat your customers that way you want to be treated!
And, no, editing more pics doesn’t take a ton more time, you can batch edit, I know how to use Lightroom

Cspybe

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 4:04 am
Flower25 wrote:
how much would u spend on photography pictures? have done professional pics of my kids, only getting 4 images for the package I paid. each additional print is additional cost. I dont really have the money to add more photos but there are so many that I like and would love to have. the memories of this time and age kids will not come back, im so undecided what should I do?

Did you know before you booked with this photographer that this is her price and how she operates?
If not, the photographer is wrong for not being upfront and transparent. If yes,vwhy didn't you book someone cheaper or someone that includes more photos?

Onajourney7

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:09 pm
Window wrote:
I hate when photographers do that. You caught beautiful pictures of my kids, why should they go to the garbage? Treat your customers that way you want to be treated!
And, no, editing more pics doesn’t take a ton more time, you can batch edit, I know how to use Lightroom

What a way to bash. I’m a photographer that hand edits each photo and yes it takes me quite some time. And don’t tell me to do just Lightroom edits cuz that does not showcase my complete work. It’s like a pizza store giving you raw dough .

bsy

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 8:29 pm
I use JCPenney for this reason. Costs 100 total if I upgrade to the full digital album and get 20 to 30 pictures

missknowitall

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 8:39 pm
Window wrote:

Doesn't sound you understand the work that goes into professional photography. Editing is the hardest part of the job and takes hours. If this is the level you want just buy a camera and do it yourself.

Tao

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:01 pm
I hear that but if it's editing that's the issue, why couldn;t you edit a certain amount for your price, and give the unedited images for much cheaper? Not printed because printing is expensive, say on a usb or emailed.
Not bashing, trying to understand?
Btw I do pay a lot for pics but because of the expense I don't do them often. But nice pictures are so meaningful so I think it's worth it.

Onajourney7

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:32 pm
Tao wrote:
I hear that but if it's editing that's the issue, why couldn;t you edit a certain amount for your price, and give the unedited images for much cheaper? Not printed because printing is expensive, say on a usb or emailed.
Not bashing, trying to understand?
Btw I do pay a lot for pics but because of the expense I don't do them often. But nice pictures are so meaningful so I think it's worth it.

Because unedited pictures are not a photographers complete work. If anyone sees them they might think that this the editing the photographer does. Which isn’t true. And don’t tell me that you won’t show it to anybody because then you show it just for a neighbor and just for a grandmother.

Tao

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:33 pm
Onajourney7 wrote:
Because unedited pictures are not a photographers complete work. If anyone sees them they might think that this the editing the photographer does. Which isn’t true. And don’t tell me that you won’t show it to anybody because then you show it just for a neighbor and just for a grandmother.

Wouldn't you be more likely to display the edited pics, which are so much nicer? And maybe keep unedited ones in an album for yourself? I would not enlarge unedited pictures?

missknowitall

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:34 pm
Tao wrote:
Wouldn't you be more likely to display the edited pics, which are so much nicer? And maybe keep unedited ones in an album for yourself? I would not enlarge unedited pictures?

Then why do you need them? You don’t need 200 pictures of the same thing

Tao

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:35 pm
missknowitall wrote:
Then why do you need them? You don’t need 200 pictures of the same thing

No idea. I'm happy with only a few pictures. I'm asking for the people who were saying they want all the pics.

Onajourney7

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:35 pm
Tao wrote:

You wouldn’t. Other ppl would. I’ve heard of clients hanging up pics with the photographers logo on them.
Which is why I no longer do online galleries .

Eastcoastmom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:35 pm
Hi - this is my first post here. I joined a few months ago and have been reading up on here and learning so much from this amazing site but not posted yet. (I was gathering up confidence and trying to get a feel of the accepted etiquette here )

Allow me to explain (I'm a photographer too). For me, it isn't about the amount of time editing, and if I want to release unedited files or not. Actually if I would give people unedited images I'd charge for the extra photos too. This is because in order for me to make a decent salary from my (full time) photography job, I would need every client to pay around $800. So I calculated what I thought was a fair amount of images for that price and figured 30 would make sense. I just don't want every client to feel committed to buy 30 images - I want them to have the option of just choosing 5 images in case they don't love them all. So my lowest package is $250. Every client that books knows before committing that only 5 images are included in the $250 and that if they like more, they will have to pay more. And in the meantime, I hope and pray that they do love all their images, and pay for more, so that I can afford to pay my mortgage, tuition and cost of kosher food, at the end of the month.
Happy to answer any questions.

mamadana

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:22 pm
Wow, the attitude here!

As a photographer, I cannot begin to tell you just how hard it is to make money!

Firstly, the cost of the equipment. We constantly upgrade to get new equipment, training, props, knowledge... etc.

Second, the actual backbreaking physical work of the shoot (wrapping newborns and getting them into poses is not as easy as it looks!)

Third, the editing can take many, many hours!

Feel free to take pics with your phone or camera but trust me there is a reason why your pics don't look like mine. A lot of hard work and training went into getting to where I am!

My lowest package includes 5 photos and I charge for each additional. Before each client selects their photos, I hope they love my work and want to buy more. It's the only way I can be profitable.

I will never give unedited photos as my photos need to reflect my professionalism and style and that is only done with hand edits (editing in Lightroom doesn't compare to an in-depth photoshop edit).

I hope that explains it a bit!

Eastcoastmom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:17 pm
mamadana wrote:
Wow, the attitude here!

As a photographer, I cannot begin to tell you just how hard it is to make money!

Firstly, the cost of the equipment. We constantly upgrade to get new equipment, training, props, knowledge... etc.

Second, the actual backbreaking physical work of the shoot (wrapping newborns and getting them into poses is not as easy as it looks!)

Third, the editing can take many, many hours!

Feel free to take pics with your phone or camera but trust me there is a reason why your pics don't look like mine. A lot of hard work and training went into getting to where I am!

My lowest package includes 5 photos and I charge for each additional. Before each client selects their photos, I hope they love my work and want to buy more. It's the only way I can be profitable.

I will never give unedited photos as my photos need to reflect my professionalism and style and that is only done with hand edits (editing in Lightroom doesn't compare to an in-depth photoshop edit).

I hope that explains it a bit!

I don't think it's attitude, or bashing. I think it's just cluelessness? How should clients know what's involved?

missknowitall

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:19 pm
Eastcoastmom wrote:
I don't think it's attitude, or bashing. I think it's just cluelessness? How should clients know what's involved?

They wouldn’t. But there is always an attitude of how dare you not give me every picture you snapped and what’s it to you anyway. No other job or expertise is treated that way.

Eastcoastmom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:23 pm
missknowitall wrote:
They wouldn’t. But there is always an attitude of how dare you not give me every picture you snapped and what’s it to you anyway. No other job or expertise is treated that way.

Baruch hashem I haven't encountered that personally. And if a client would question it to me directly instead of venting on a public forum, I'd explain my calculations and reasons respectfully.

missknowitall

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:29 pm
Eastcoastmom wrote:
Baruch hashem I haven't encountered that personally. And if a client would question it to me directly instead of venting on a public forum, I'd explain my calculations and reasons respectfully.

That’s not really relevant to posters addressing that attitude on here

Eastcoastmom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:30 pm
missknowitall wrote:
That’s not really relevant to posters addressing that attitude on here

Yes, I agree. I just wanted to point out that not everyone has this attitude and I'm sure many other businesses also get attitude in other ways. Running a business is tough.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:07 pm
Professional photographer here too.

Custom portraits are a luxury.

My smallest collection is 1490. Clients know this before they book.

If you want more photos, pay me for them.

If I’d give all the photos for $500 or even $1000, there’d be no incentive for clients to upgrade, and with the huge cost of doing business, and tremendous time it takes to run this business, I would earn the equivalent of a cleaning lady’s hourly wages.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art