Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Leave tag on if got bris gift from TJ Maxx?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:45 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
That I would just give away, I wouldn’t give it as a baby gift. I would only regift something that was never used.

It was brand new. I said it was gifted after my son outgrew it. In other words he got a 3 month outfit when he was in size 6 months. So never worn, still had a tag, brand new.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
Nooo.
Only have gift receipt etc if it’s from a regular store I would be so turned off if someone gifted me from tj maxx, but it could be we run in different circles

Ah hah! Now I know why I never got a thank you for the baby gift I gave someone. It was from TJ Maxx , that I wrapped adorably and put so much effort into . It’s been years and that baby is already 9. But I was always surprised that the very sweet mother never said a word of thanks for it. I never bought her a gift again.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:02 pm
Not only do I shop in discount stores, I get a gift receipt. So the person knows I didn't spend a lot, so what? They sell name brands and even designer items.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:03 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
Ah hah! Now I know why I never got a thank you for the baby gift I gave someone. It was from TJ Maxx , that I wrapped adorably and put so much effort into . It’s been years and that baby is already 9. But I was always surprised that the very sweet mother never said a word of thanks for it. I never bought her a gift again.

these people are obviously snobs. I am very well to do and would be more than thrilled with a cute thing from tjmaxx!

wiki

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:10 pm
I'm surprised by how many people would bother to make an exchange with a gift return receipt. After I have babies, I have no time or energy to go to random stores returning things.

Bunch of Tulips

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 9:19 pm
Nooo.
Only have gift receipt etc if it’s from a regular store I would be so turned off if someone gifted me from tj maxx, but it could be we run in different circles

Turned off that someone bought you a gift? They dont owe you anything

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:18 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
It was brand new. I said it was gifted after my son outgrew it. In other words he got a 3 month outfit when he was in size 6 months. So never worn, still had a tag, brand new.

Got it, I misunderstood. For sure regift!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:20 pm
wiki wrote:
I'm surprised by how many people would bother to make an exchange with a gift return receipt. After I have babies, I have no time or energy to go to random stores returning things.

I might send my husband. If that would happen, I would call the store and tell them my husband is coming in, and what I want in exchange. Or I would wait a couple of weeks until I was back to driving, and then I’d go myself.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:27 pm
Nooo.

I run in similar circles.
Why is everyone so nasty?
It's not that we wouldn't appreciate the gift. It's that gifting from tj maxx or discount stores is just not done. I would buy for myself there but I wouldn't gift from there.
Makes sense?
And don't worry I would still send you a thank you card...

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:57 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
I run in similar circles.
Why is everyone so nasty?
It's not that we wouldn't appreciate the gift. It's that gifting from tj maxx or discount stores is just not done. I would buy for myself there but I wouldn't gift from there.
Makes sense?
And don't worry I would still send you a thank you card...

What’s wrong with gifting things from discount stores, as long as it’s nice and presentable? Especially TJmaxx which has some decent brands.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:06 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
What’s wrong with gifting things from discount stores, as long as it’s nice and presentable? Especially TJmaxx which has some decent brands.

There's nothing wrong perse. We have a bunch of heimish baby shops with beautiful stuff right here in our neighborhood so that's where we usually gift from.
As I said I would purchase stuff for myself from tj maxx and other discount stores. But gifting I like to be more 'balbatish'.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:09 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
There's nothing wrong perse. We have a bunch of heimish baby shops with beautiful stuff right here in our neighborhood so that's where we usually gift from.
As I said I would purchase stuff for myself from tj maxx and other discount stores. But gifting I like to be more 'balbatish'.

Just because you don’t do it doesn’t make it an off putting gift.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:14 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Just because you don’t do it doesn’t make it an off putting gift.

In my circles it wouldnt be gifted. I'm not trying to knock anyone c'v but that's the reality in my social and familial circles.

mandr

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:32 am
I personally don’t like the type of baby clothing found in tjmaxx and similar stores. When I’ve gotten gifts like that I just regifted. Basically It was a total waste to me other than the nice gesture I received. It just feels super cheapy to me. I don’t need expensive gifts. I don’t need any gift nor expect any. But honestly a $10 gc to a local food place would have been way more useful if the gift giver was trying to cut costs.

I’m sure most people in my circles feel the same. The posters on this thread clearly don’t move in these circles!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:49 am
Where are these circles that don't gift from TJMaxx? Boro Park? Lakewood?
I live in Brooklyn and have never been gifted anything from a heimish store. Im not in a very materialistic circle (thankfully so). Go figure.
OP, I think it apparently depends on the person receiving your gift and whether they would put their child in clothing from TJ maxx as opposed to exclusively heimish or European brands.

deena19k

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 3:25 am
Honestly, I never thought of TJ Maxx as a discount store..I am so glad that I dont live in the type of communities that do.

And then we wonder why the materialism levels in the frum world are so out of control.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:31 am
amother Mayflower wrote:

That’s fine for you but not everyone does that and it’s wrong and comes across really snobbish to look down on someone for spending time and money getting you a baby gift. Tj maxx carries a lot of nice brands, I really don’t understand the horror.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:42 am
I didn’t see anyone mention this. Ask your rav, but it could be genevas daas to take the tag off and make the person think you spent a lot more on the outfit than you actually did.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:53 am
mandr wrote:
I personally don’t like the type of baby clothing found in tjmaxx and similar stores. When I’ve gotten gifts like that I just regifted. Basically It was a total waste to me other than the nice gesture I received. It just feels super cheapy to me. I don’t need expensive gifts. I don’t need any gift nor expect any. But honestly a $10 gc to a local food place would have been way more useful if the gift giver was trying to cut costs.

I’m sure most people in my circles feel the same. The posters on this thread clearly don’t move in these circles!

So regifting something from TJ you don’t like is ok, but not if someone thoughtfully picked something from TJ and gifted it to you?

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:56 am
Im guessing some of you would be horrified at a baby stretchy or cute outfit from Target, Kohls, JCPENNEY or even WalMart.

That's where I buy most of my baby gifts.
TJMaxx is often not even in my toolbox since it's more mazel.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics