Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva of Greater Washington / Silver Spring
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:52 pm
Torah School is a really excellent school, well run with good teachers and education. I would say it's different than YGW. There's also definitely some more oot yeshivish type families who send there as well, although the community at large is more mo.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:24 pm
Who ever said Baltimore middle school tuition is similar to YGW--where to you send?

TA (boys) 7th/8th grade full tuition with fees is $15,420.
Bnos (girls)middle school full tuition with fees $12,750

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:49 pm
familyfirst wrote:
Awesome community! Awesome schools!

But you have to come with the attitude that it’s not a cookie cutter place and you can’t be judgmental of others. Just like you want to be welcomed unconditionally, know that you will have to be that way too. The beauty is precisely in its diversity and if the school doesn’t measure up one hundred percent hashkafically, don’t be surprised. It doesn’t claim to be Lakewood.
Go in with the right attitude and yiu will love it!

Great! I would never fit in Lakewood.
I am not cookie cutter at all.

I want to be OK wearing my snood/tichel outside to the store- is that acceptable? What about to shul? (Read other threads on here about how that it is only sheitel or don't go...)
I don't judge if someone covers, covers with a hat, a snood, a tichel... even if I only cover. But want to make sure that it is ok for the community Smile

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 2:03 am
amother OP wrote:

I want to be OK wearing my snood/tichel outside to the store- is that acceptable? What about to shul? (Read other threads on here about how that it is only sheitel or don't go...)
I don't judge if someone covers, covers with a hat, a snood, a tichel... even if I only cover. But want to make sure that it is ok for the community Smile

That is totally fine in silver spring! You will find all kinds of headcoverings in shul- wherever!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 4:06 am
amother OP wrote:

I would feel comfortable wearing a tichel anywhere (and I frequently do!). Most people dress pretty relaxed and don't care at all what you are wearing!

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 4:19 am
amother OP wrote:

OP, when we say OOT, we really mean it. The most yeshivish shul will have some who don't cover their hair at all. Obviously this is a very small number but they are fully welcomed and appreciated!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 4:49 am
amother OP wrote:

The store for sure, shul - depends on the shul but in ohr hatorah most women wear sheitels but definitely a few wear a tichel etc. and nobody cares!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 6:49 am
OK. Really liking what I hear... I mean not sure we will end up needing to move but this sounds like a nice community.
Now, besides the price of housing and tuition- are there any downsides to SS? Anything the community doesn't have?
How is crime? Lots of vagrants or homeless?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:44 am
[quote="amother OP"]OK. Really liking what I hear... I mean not sure we will end up needing to move but this sounds like a nice community.
Now, besides the price of housing and tuition- are there any downsides to SS? Anything the community doesn't have?
How is crime? Lots of vagrants or homeless?[/quote

No serious crime- it is generally a very safe neighborhood. There is some petty crime/car break ins in certain areas, mostly from a juvenile halfway home in the area.

No homeless at all.

Downside is really cost. It is not just tuition and housing but also cost of kosher food.

By the way, not sure where you are looking but these are the only 2 houses I see currently available in the frum neighborhood with both of them being more in the more heavily MO sections:

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Silv.....01289

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Silv.....01369

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:42 am
[quote="amother Powderblue"]
amother OP wrote:
OK. Really liking what I hear... I mean not sure we will end up needing to move but this sounds like a nice community.
How is crime? Lots of vagrants or homeless?[/quote

No serious crime- it is generally a very safe neighborhood. There is some petty crime/car break ins in certain areas, mostly from a juvenile halfway home in the area.

No homeless at all.

Downside is really cost. It is not just tuition and housing but also cost of kosher food.

By the way, not sure where you are looking but these are the only 2 houses I see currently available in the frum neighborhood with both of them being more in the more heavily MO sections:

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Silv.....01289

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Silv.....01369

For a new family moving in hashkafically how OP described, this would not be in an area close to like minded families...

OP housing is hard. People really have trouble finding a house at all. Then when you find one, you are paying a lot for a small house that likely needs work. What's really nice about this is that the standard overall is much lower, most kids grow up in smaller houses so it's just the norm.

Food prices are more expensive in the kosher supermarket. Costco has a good kosher selection and there's Aldi which is inexpensive, so most people OOT just shop differently.
We have pretty much everything here, but Baltimore is an hour north which isn't far, if you need something specific that we don't have (gown gemachs etc). Chaverim just got started up here but probably a lot less capability than in a larger town. Frum clothing, there's someone with a basement store but most people will just shop in the secular stores, online kidichic etc, or go to Baltimore before YT. As an example.

The neighborhood is very safe BH. No homeless people close by. Very few restaurants if that's important to you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:43 am
Thanks! Housing and tuition are the biggest issues I guess for us. We don't eat out much where we live and I don't solely shop at frum stores for food or clothing. And I love a community where it is ok to wear children's place or target. Very Happy
Baltimore sounds like a Sunday trip if we needed stuff we can't get in SS- right?

When is winter break at YGW/Torah School? Want to make sure if we go it's not when everyone is off.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! Housing and tuition are the biggest issues I guess for us. We don't eat out much where we live and I don't solely shop at frum stores for food or clothing. And I love a community where it is ok to wear children's place or target. Very Happy
Baltimore sounds like a Sunday trip if we needed stuff we can't get in SS- right?

When is winter break at YGW/Torah School? Want to make sure if we go it's not when everyone is off.

Right!

Jan 12-21 is TSGW winter break. I don't know about Ygw.

Hatzlacha

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:57 am
amother Smokey wrote:
Right!

Hatzlacha
YGW boys is Jan 12-17

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:00 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Right!

Hatzlacha

At TSGW are the boys and girls off the same time?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
At TSGW are the boys and girls off the same time?

Yes
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics