Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Minneapolis

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 3:34 pm
Anyone know about the community there?

mamacita

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 3:45 pm
I know people there (non-chassidishe though). They are the head of Aish Minn and are fab! http://www.aishmn.com/

They would for sure answer any Qs you have about the community.

hatzlachah!

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 3:50 pm
thank you very much mamacita!

Amital

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 6:57 am
I lived there for almost a year about 8 years ago, and have some close friends (not Chassidish, more MO) still there. My dh's grandparents lived there. It's a nice community, with several orthodox shuls, although there have apparently been splits since I lived there, which can be stressful if you are part of the synagogue that splits.

They redid the mikvah several years ago, and it's truly beautiful! Brand new everything, the nicest I've ever used.

I'm not so up to date on what's there now, but when I went to visit last year, they had a glatt kosher shop with a glatt kosher deli/cafe and a local fancy grocery (Byerley's) also had a lot of kosher items. In fact, they had several sections of prepared foods just for the kosher ones (I'm assuming a separate kitchen as well.)

There is at least one school--this is the one I lived near and knew about, but I believe there are others.

Housing prices are higher than the boonies, but not high like NY, DC, LA, etc. The area the main Jewish community is in is called St. Louis Park, and it's just outside Minneapolis, but still close enough.

Sorry I can't help with more specifics, but it's been a while. Wink

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:11 am
Isn't that where Rav Twerski is a rebbe? I read an article in Mishpacha about him and his kehilla. Looked beautiful.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:14 am
My Dh was born there but moved to Israel with his Israeli parents in 1964.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:17 am
I had a few girls from my school who lived there, unless it was St. Paul. I know one for sure still lives there. I can try to get you her number if you want.

Amital

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:08 am
This is the synagogue I know there that is more to the right, and has a kollel. Here is a more MO shul. These are both in St Louis Park, about two blocks from each other when I was there! There are several smaller communities, too...

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:30 am
CM that was milwaukie

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:16 am
Whoops embarrassed

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:12 am
since my husband and I are chassidish we wud plan on sticking close to the Nirbater rav. my husband would be part of the 10 men who go their to do shchita, altho he wud just b a mashgiach. I heard there are only abt 10 men and only some of them have brought their wives there. that's the part of the community I want to kno abt...

Carefulmom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 6:31 pm
I'm from Minneapolis. What do you need to know? I know the old timers and the Rav there. Great warm community. Was just there in February. You can PM me if you want.

Carefulmom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 6:32 pm
Rabbi Twersky is from Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating