Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What is a good healthcare field in Israel?
Previous  1  2  3

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, this is very interesting. If I am reading it correctly, she could practice OT with a Bachelors Degree? In the US, you now need a Doctoral degree to practice OT.
It also says that admissions are competitive. We have that in the US also and the percentage of people who get in is very small. So frustrating.

Are you saying that you need a PhD to practice occupational therapy in the US?

That cannot possibly be correct...

Does "doctorate" mean something else in this context?

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:15 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Compared to what? It really depends where you live and what you consider a joke. Chareidi areas are much lower paying, certain proffersions are, if you want part time or close by also lowers your pay, "mommy" jobs with flexible hours etc.

Average salary is like 14k. Times 2 parents that's 28k around. That's pretty good standard of living if you ask me. If you plan on having ten kids that changes things too....

The school system is not set up to have two full time working parents unless you have significant family assistance to pick up the slack. Unless you want to have constant babysitters picking your kids up from school, and dealing with vacations.

So usually its one full time and one part time - with OT/PT you can make about 7-8 k as part time, but not in the beginning, starting out it would be more like 5k. With full time working husband, who is starting out as well that gives you 15-17k.
If you buy an apartment ( which will only happen if the parents gift them a down payment, they wont be able to save much on those salaries) for 2 million which is what the prices are anywhere central for a 2 bedroom apartment, you will have a mortgage of about 7,500 at the current rates ( assume that if the rates change prices rise so it evens out).
7,500 left over to live on, which goes FAST assuming you have 1 kid in maon or babysitters (around 2k) - thats 5,500 nis which is basically food and utilities. That is a very tight standard of living.

Now lets assume she is charedi lite and wants her husband to learn for a few years. That means she either needs to work full time or the parents need to support them. And they cant buy - the have to rent. Which means constantly moving because there aren't really any long term rental options - contracts tend to be 1-2 years.

Assuming he starts working full time when they have 3 kids (entry level so making 10k) and she has already somewhat established herself and is making 7-8k, they can have a decent standard of living, but it will be tight, and much lower then the typical american home.

I'm all for aliya - but you need to come in with your eyes open to the financial reality here.

If you go to hi- tech, and are bilingual, starting salaries are around 15k, and they can easily reach 30-40k. Its a field that has ups and downs (none of the security of healthcare) and usually involves jumping around jobs every couple of years if you want to maximize salaries.

Honestly - her best best would be psychology, but you need graduate school to practice and very very few get in. But the salaries in the system are decent (10-12 for part time) and eventually you can open a private practice and really make money. Especially if you specialize in a needed field or in something like evaluations.

Another thing to think about is SW. You can start working with a bachelors, and while the salaries in the system are very low (around 5k) they are usually part time. But eventually, as you get experience and finish the masters you can shift to the private sector - first private clinics and then private practice and once you build your name up it is good money. What's nice is that it isn't as competitive to get into the college - most people manage it.
There are frum hebrew college options in Jerusalem
https://www.strausscampus.co.il/

But really only for people passionate about therapy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:59 am
DrMom wrote:
Are you saying that you need a PhD to practice occupational therapy in the US?

That cannot possibly be correct...

Does "doctorate" mean something else in this context?

Pursuing a doctor of occupational therapy degree is not only a good choice for prospective occupational therapists; it will soon become a requirement. Starting July 1, 2027, entry-level occupational therapy positions will require a doctoral degreeExternal link:open_in_new instead of a master’s degree. This has been mandated by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE).

All the programs in the US are moving to a doctoral program. PT already did this some years ago.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:09 am
I saw on the Campus Strauss website (thank you for posting!) they offer an optometry program. 4 years, Bachelors. Any info or thoughts about this?

Also Machon Tal Pharmacy Program-thoughts?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 11:02 am
amother OP wrote:
I saw on the Campus Strauss website (thank you for posting!) they offer an optometry program. 4 years, Bachelors. Any info or thoughts about this?

Also Machon Tal Pharmacy Program-thoughts?

Campus Strauss is the chareidi branch of Michlelet Hadasah. Its a high standard, a d a well recognised degree, but the girls aren't always so serious, and some are inclined to waste a lot of time. As far as I know, there is limited support for non-hebrew speakers.

Machon Tal is also a good degree. The ethos is more dati-leumi, but someone more chareidi is unlikely to have a problem. The girls there are often slightly older, since in most cases they've come from a year or two of sherut leumi. That means they are that much more settled and more serious about their studying. I think there is more support for olim.

Obviously the above is very broad generalisations. She needs to do her own research while she is in Israel. Opthalmology a d pharmacology are very different career paths. She needs to be a bit more focused about what she wants.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:36 am
FOLLOW UP:
Thank you so much for all the replies. You have no idea how helpful they are.

I spoke to a pharmacist in Israel who highly recommended the field. It seems like there are many different types of jobs available.
DD actually seemed more interested in optometry but I worry that there aren't so many job opportunities. Am I wrong?

DD also asked a very good question: let's say she gets her Bachelors in Pharmacy and works in Israel for X number of years, then ends up moving back to the US. She will have 0 certifications and no way to get licensed without going for her doctorate in pharmacy. Same with all the other options we mentioned: OT/PT, optometry are all doctorate levels in the US.

Are there any healthcare jobs that she can study in Israel (I'm guessing nursing is the only one?) that she could theoretically transfer to the US if necessary?

Also, a few people mentioned psychology. She has no interest in anything in that field.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:42 am
amother OP wrote:
FOLLOW UP:
Thank you so much for all the replies. You have no idea how helpful they are.

I spoke to a pharmacist in Israel who highly recommended the field. It seems like there are many different types of jobs available.
DD actually seemed more interested in optometry but I worry that there aren't so many job opportunities. Am I wrong?

It won't help to have lots of job options of she isn't interested in the job.

I've never researched either, so I can't give a definitive answer, but don't choose a career based purely on job availability.

Neither of you need to male a decision yet. The first thing is to come to Israel, enjoy her seminary year, do the psychometric exam, and see what her options are, based on her score. She may be required to do a mechina year, which give her time to focus her choices.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:45 am
Definitely!
We have talked over the years about different options and there have been a few that have stuck out which we had to eliminate based on the schooling requirements in the US.
Like she wanted pharmacy a while ago but had no interest in a PHD. Same with OT/PT.
She is somewhat flexible about the exact nature of the work but she wants to work with people and help them with their medical needs so that does leave the door somewhat open.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics