Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Switching Seminaries in Israel midyear

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:56 am
For a regular, good BY girl. The current seminary isn't working out through no fault of hers.
Do seminaries accept someone switching midyear, provided they have room? Are some more likely to accept than others? Any that won't accept no matter what?

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:56 am
It's really not done.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:13 pm
Most seminaries are paid upfront and will not reimburse you if you switch out. (Maybe because of that reason or girls that get engaged...they're left with an empty slot!)

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:15 pm
This rarely happens. You will have to discuss with both the place you want to switch to and the one you want to leave to find out.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:37 pm
When I was in seminary there was a girl that had a very hard time fitting in and was really unhappy. She came from a small Jewish community and I think she didn't really know what the seminary was all about and never would have applied there if she knew.

She switched sometime in middle of the year and bh continued on to have a good experience the rest of the year.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:04 pm
It’s very hard. I asked this question last year for my daughter who ended up coming home mid-year. ☹️ Most BY seminaries will not consider it at all.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Silver wrote:
It’s very hard. I asked this question last year for my daughter who ended up coming home mid-year. ☹️ Most BY seminaries will not consider it at all.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. You reached out to seminaries and they refused, even though they had room?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh no, I'm so sorry. You reached out to seminaries and they refused, even though they had room?

Our situation was a little more complicated, but essentially, yes. Even seminaries that initially said “maybe” and “call this person” started ghosting us and/or didn’t follow through. And also ghosting my daughter’s high school advisor who was trying to help us make the switch happen. Even if there isn’t a negative reason to switch, our lesson learned was that none of them would consider it. Maybe if you have the right pull… but then there’s something not so nice about that either.

Hatzlacha. I hope you can find something for your daughter. I don’t like to be negative, but we must have contacted close to 20 BY sems last year and got turned down and/or ghosted by all.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:22 pm
When I was in seminary over 25 years ago, 2 girls were not happy in my seminary. They switched mid year and were very successful.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:24 pm
I have heard of girls who came back to the US mid-year and attended local seminaries.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:29 pm
Israeli sems I have no idea
American and European I have heard of
I regret not changing, I was miserable

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:14 pm
amother Silver wrote:
Our situation was a little more complicated, but essentially, yes. Even seminaries that initially said “maybe” and “call this person” started ghosting us and/or didn’t follow through. And also ghosting my daughter’s high school advisor who was trying to help us make the switch happen. Even if there isn’t a negative reason to switch, our lesson learned was that none of them would consider it. Maybe if you have the right pull… but then there’s something not so nice about that either.

Hatzlacha. I hope you can find something for your daughter. I don’t like to be negative, but we must have contacted close to 20 BY sems last year and got turned down and/or ghosted by all.

Oh my. So sorry 😞

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have heard of girls who came back to the US mid-year and attended local seminaries.

Because they wanted to come home or cause they tried switching and couldn't?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info