Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Where to buy first pair of shoes

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:35 am
I think my 13 1/2 month old dd is ready for her first pair of shoes. (yay!! Very Happy ) This is totally new for me, so I don't know where to go and buy them for her. Is it necessary to go to an expensive shoe store, or is there a slightly cheaper alternative?

TIA

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:38 am
Get eccos

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:40 am
cassandra wrote:
Get eccos

I second that.

Children's (and adults') shoes should always be of good quality. If you want to spend a little less go to Stride Rite.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:43 am
13 months! did she not stand up before?

For my dd I bought shoes at a baby shoes shop and there you can see from price if it's good quality or not. Mary janes and stuff are not the best support and too easy to take off, you should buy laced up. My dd was a bit more than 3 months and not even the smallest size LOL

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:44 am
your daughter walked when she was 3 months old?

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:46 am
Ruchel, I was told to wait until she was walking well.

Thanks for your suggestions, ladies. Does anyone have a specific store in Brooklyn to recommend?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:48 am
cassandra wrote:
your daughter walked when she was 3 months old?

oh no, didn't even stand before MUCH after, 8 months or so.

Quote:
I was told to wait until she was walking well.

Ah, ok! How did you do in the street or at the park if she wanted to run around or just stand and cruise a bit?

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:51 am
there are soft soled infant shoes sold in the US that people use before their baby walks. companies like pediped, robeez and others sell these shoes.
I'm not from brooklyn, but I got my daughter's shoes in the mall.

tovasmom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:54 am
I like Footsteps on Kings Highway right of Ocean Parkway (bet OP and east 7th). I have gotten shoes that were fit very well and you can bring your child back for them to check the shoes to see if they still fit after a while and they have been known to actually say that you don't need new shoes yet! Try to get either Abe or Sol, who are the owners, to fit your child.

PIP

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:54 am
Go to Tescher's on 16th ave in Boro Park. (Note: Tescher's II on Ave M is NOT the same! They have nothing to do with each other) He has expensive good quality great support shoes at the normal price (it may be even ore expensive on Zappos- I checked) and IMO he fits the best. He's honest, and you know your kid is getting good support.

This age is very important to get good support shoes. I decided with one of my kids to try the cheaper version (read- the most expensive shoe was like 50 dollars) then got some shoes from target for her. Now she can't walk more than a block without being in pain. Did the cheap shoes give her bad feet? Probably not, but it sure didn't help. It made it worse. When I bought her good support shoes she felt much better. I still need to take her to the foot doctor though to get insoles.

Don't take chances. Not in this stage, maybe in a year or 18 months. Tell Mr. Tescher how much you want to spend, he'll bring the shoes out in your price range. Oh, and he also has a family plan card. When you buy 12 pairs of shoes you get a free pair. It can take you as long as you want! Such a good feeling. hehe Ask for the orange card ) Mazal tov on hitting the walking milestone!

pgk

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 5:01 pm
I second the Eccos notion, but that is only if your daughter does not have a small foot. My DD started walking at a yr. she was a sz. 17 shoe and Eccos only start at 19 (and they run big). I would not suggest you run to Teschers, but if you do, insist that they give you a shoe with room in it, not something that fits perfectly now. I personally like Nature Walk. Now that they closed down, I would probably go to Schwartz's on 16th Ave.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 6:31 pm
yeah, dd is a size 18 at 17 mos. I can't find shoes for her anywhere. I finally found primigi sandals for her at nordstroms.

shoy18

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 6:33 pm
go to lesters on avenue U and coney, they fit very well and have a nice selection of different priced shoes

Pineapple

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 8:34 pm
I like J steps on ave J Between Coney and East 12th

greeneyes

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 9:35 am
Thanks for your replies! Hopefully this Sunday will be shoe shopping day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics