Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should I push dc or ask school for special accommodations?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:39 pm
Dc (preschool)has chronic leg pain and is very much the type to not dwell on pain and just push themselves. Dc also has a very high pain tolerance, therefore I’m not always privy to when dc is in pain.
Last week dc mentioned something about a classmate, and with that comment I realized that dc has been struggling all year with going up/down the stairs in school when in pain.

Would you ask the school to allow dc to ride the elevator?*
I feel like on the one hand, dc should be walking, but on the other hand, if they’re uncomfortable and in pain- why should we push?

Wwyd?

*dc might not even want this as dc is already somewhat different than classmates and strives to be fully regular, but maybe if they ride a few classmates together?

teachkids

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:50 pm
It will depend a lot on how feasible it is. Is it the kind of school with 2 teachers per class? Does he even want it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:14 am
teachkids wrote:
It will depend a lot on how feasible it is. Is it the kind of school with 2 teachers per class? Does he even want it?

1 teacher and an assistant for 1/2 day.
Dc is approved for 1:1 para for full day but principal refused to allow it. Officially has someone to help dc out with some things in the morning (when the assistant is not there) but it doesn’t seem like she’s there as much as I was told she’ll be…
So to answer your question, the principal can make it more feasible by giving dc he full help dc is entitled to…

I think dc will be ok if other kids join the ride so they’re not singled out so to speak.

dena613

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:31 am
How can a principal not allow a para?!
(I feel like we had a thread about that before.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:39 am
dena613 wrote:
How can a principal not allow a para?!
(I feel like we had a thread about that before.)

That may have been me venting!

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 1:37 am
First of all if they're not already aware, the school must be informed that the pain exists. Elevator or no, it's totally possible that some day they'll have some issue related to the pain and you don't want the teachers to brush it off or decide that it's attention seeking or something.

What I would ask is that they should allow the elevator but leave it to the child's preference whether/when they want to use it. No need to single them out, but dc should know that if there is a time when they feel they need a break from the pain, they can request to use the elevator and the school is ready to accommodate that request.

Hugs all around, this sounds so difficult and dc seems like a brave little tough cookie!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics