Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to: saline drops and snot aspirators

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:20 am
4 month old has a cold, it's stuffing up his breathing and also causing nasty post nasal drip cough. Already took him to doc to make sure the noisy breathing and cough are only from the cold, they said yes and the only thing to do is steam, saline, and snot suckers.

Steam has been doable but I don't see it helping much if at all, very low ROI for the amount of time, discomfort, and hot water.

Every time he sees the saline or aspirator coming he screams bloody murder. Even more so if I actually get it in his nose. The one or two times I was successful I saw instant results with the aspirator and possible results with the saline drops.

Is there a way to get this done without making the baby so sad? The screaming and struggling is so sad. I also worry that I'm hurting him accidentally. I ordered the nosefrida hoping it'll be gentler but I'm pretty sure I'll get the same fight, just without the worry that I'll stick it too far in while he's squirming. Anyway that won't be here until tomorrow night and he's already so uncomfortable.

Experienced mommies help please!

Brit in Israel

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:50 am
Learn to hold child's head whilst his arm is held down. Sometimes need both parents. Just be steady and quick.
It's a quick uncomfort for them but will last a good few hours of comfort.

To get you excited it doesn't get any easier regardless of age still struggle doing it on my 2 year old

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:54 am
Don't think there's any way to do it without the kid screaming but have someone else help you hold his head steady and you can be done in a minute and it's so worth it.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:59 am
I always put a drop in the nose first to soften and then wait a few seconds. The suction process goes pretty quickly after that. You can even just dip your pinky in water and dab it in the nostrils. I found that to be less invasive and upsetting

Motherhood

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 4:43 am
To remove snot quickly, I found this to work amazing
https://a.co/d/9eXIIui

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 4:51 am
The nose frida is amazing! You dont put it up the nose just at the entrance to the nostril. You can blow your babys nose in 1 quick second.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:04 am
I’d scream too. But it’s for his own good. And it doesn’t actually hurt. Hold him down and do it, it shouldn’t take more than 2 seconds

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:07 am
I’d scream too. But it’s for his own good. And it doesn’t actually hurt. Hold him down and do it, it shouldn’t take more than 2 seconds

stayAwake

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 8:02 am
Take him into steaming bathroom,

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 8:48 am
A nebulizer with saline may be easier and more effective than a steam treatment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics