Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Lancaster during Yeshiva Week

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:25 pm
Never traveled for yeshiva week- located in NYC so no sense of crowds, etc. DD3 and baby and we'll both be taking off the whole week. I want to stay low budget- maybe Mon-Thurs (3 nights) in an Airbnb within 2.5 hours drive. Will Lancaster be nutty packed at activities? Any other places with lots for preschoolers?

Highstrung

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:28 pm
I think most places are closed in the winter in Lancaster

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:35 pm
Lancaster is not really a winter destination. People go there in the summer

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:52 pm
What would you do there in the winter?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 6:08 pm
Vacation with kids that age, you’re prob better off doing day trips. This way kids can eat their food they are used to. Sleep in their beds. If you want to feel on vacation treat yourself to some takeout and go out Af night with your husband.

Would you do one of the indoor water park hotels in the poconos? Great wolf lodge?

If you want to do something Ina diff area of PA
Look at https://giggleberryfair.com. You can find a hotel with a pool around there and go to the crayola factory the next day.

We did do Lancaster in the winter years ago. I think we stayed one night in a place which had a cute pool. There was a children’s museum which I had a reciprocal agreement with membership to a diff museum. You can also do the turkey hill experience ,but not that much else to do there in the winter.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 6:11 pm
Your kids are little, it's such an unnecessary headache to travel with babies. They need their bed & it's just harder on the parents as well. Day trips make more sense for that age.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 6:55 pm
Lancaster science museuml
Lancaster children's museum
Turkey Hill ice cream tour is nearby
Hershey's chocolate tour is around 45 minutes away
There are indoor activities
Check out the shuls website
Degelisrael.org

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 6:57 pm
A lot of people go to indoor water parks during Yeshiva week.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:00 pm
I wouldn't do Lancaster in the winter. It's a complete summer place!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:02 pm
If you’re just looking for a change of scenery and are ok with similar activities that you could do near home than it’s a good option. Bowling, indoor play places, cheap malls, that pet store, … just depends on your goal.
There are also lots of other indoor places that people recommend in the summer and I’m assuming they’re open in the winter but I haven’t checked, herrs factory, turkey hill, science museum, national toy train museum, you can drive to chocolate world do the ride a few times.
Crayola factory is also an option on the way there or back but that does get very crowded. The Lancaster attractions won’t be full at all.

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:02 pm
We stayed here for midwinter a few years back
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4.....01-22
We went to the Strasburg Railroad and enjoyed it. There's also an Amish farm attraction nearby.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:47 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Lancaster science museuml
Lancaster children's museum
Turkey Hill ice cream tour is nearby
Hershey's chocolate tour is around 45 minutes away
There are indoor activities
Check out the shuls website
Degelisrael.org

I've been to lancaster a few times. The only attraction on this list that is good for a 3 year old is the children museum (called Hands on House Childrens Musuem)

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:50 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
If you’re just looking for a change of scenery and are ok with similar activities that you could do near home than it’s a good option. Bowling, indoor play places, cheap malls, that pet store, … just depends on your goal.
There are also lots of other indoor places that people recommend in the summer and I’m assuming they’re open in the winter but I haven’t checked, herrs factory, turkey hill, science museum, national toy train museum, you can drive to chocolate world do the ride a few times.
Crayola factory is also an option on the way there or back but that does get very crowded. The Lancaster attractions won’t be full at all.

OP said her oldest is 3. Most of the attractions on this list aren't worthwhile for a 3 year old. I didn't go to lancaster until my oldest was 6.5.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics