Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why does my baby keep throwing up?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 5:07 pm
Hi Immas. I already reached out to my pediatrician and am waiting to hear back but in the meantime I am wondering if anyone has any ideas. My 8 month old has been throwing up every few hours for the past two days. He doesn't eat solids - and if so very very minimally (separate issue which we are working on) but he nurses several times a day. He is not acting sick at all and is perfectly happy / acting like his regular self and his diapers are normal. But for the past 2 days a few times a day he randomly wretches and projectile vomits what seems like the entire contents of his last feeding. This can sometimes happen 3 hours after he last ate. I am just wondering if it could be possibly he has a virus of some sort with no other symptoms or he could be sensitive to something I ate? I didn't eat anything out of ordinary? How long does something I ate affect my milk? At this point I'm just a little concerned because he's not keeping down the feedings and I'm scared it will happen when he's asleep. In general he doesn't spit up much. Can there be any other issue I am not thinking of?

Thank you!

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 5:09 pm
Oy, Refuah sheleima. Sounds like your baby either has a virus or maybe from teething from all the saliva..

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 5:46 pm
This might help until your baby feels better, refuah sheleima, it's a recipe for "rice water".
My my dc had a stubborn bug, this was extremely helpful.

Also, a key that worked for us to keep things down, was to alternate between dry foods like saltines, & then maybe an hour later fluids, & just continuing to alternate as they hopefully get better.

https://www.livestrong.com/art.....rhea/

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 5:52 pm
had that with my dd when she was 6 months ended up in emergency room cuz she was terribly dehydrated from throwing up so much.
turned out to be a bad virus

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 5:54 pm
Sounds like a virus there is a bad one going around. Just make sure her diapers are wet.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 6:15 pm
If it’s short term I would assume virus but if it continues, my baby only developed reflux around that age. No one wanted to give me medicine because it wasn’t typical and 2 GIs insisted nothing was wrong but I pushed the pediatrician for a prescription and it was an overnight fix. If I forgot to give a dose he threw up. He grew out of it a few months later but it was a lifesaver during that time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:32 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
had that with my dd when she was 6 months ended up in emergency room cuz she was terribly dehydrated from throwing up so much.
turned out to be a bad virus

How could you tell she was dehydrated?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:33 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
If it’s short term I would assume virus but if it continues, my baby only developed reflux around that age. No one wanted to give me medicine because it wasn’t typical and 2 GIs insisted nothing was wrong but I pushed the pediatrician for a prescription and it was an overnight fix. If I forgot to give a dose he threw up. He grew out of it a few months later but it was a lifesaver during that time.

Interesting, he just started throwing up one day out of the blue?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics