Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help needed asap please

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 9:42 am
my son is 3 yo now. last two nites kept on climbing out of crib and took 2 hrs to fall asleep. today we moved him to a big bed with rails. he was so excited. now we've been trying to get himt o sleep an hour already he is still up and the baby is also (crying her head off from all the noise also). he just keeps coming out and we keep putting him back. now my hsuband is laying with him and has his arm over him to keep him down. I need advice asap as to what to do. he isn't going to sleep but is tired. not hungry or thirsty either. we need HELP PLEASE FAST!!! Crying Help Help Banging head Pale

Seraph

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 9:47 am
what happens if u go into the room with him, sit next to him, shut the door, shut the light, etc? will he still get up? how about playing some calming quiet music while triyng to get him to sleep? and take the baby out of the room meanwhile- put her in your room while you're trying to get him to sleep if her crying is keeping him up.

goodheart

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 10:08 am
why dont u try giving him a book?tell him a story and take the baby out if shes crying

cubbie

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 10:14 am
What happenned before the last two nights was he going to sleep easily or did he have problems getting to sleep then but just not know how to climb out? Does he nap during the day? I know that with my dd when she sleeps during the day she can take a long time to get to sleep, whereas she's usually in bed by 7 and asleep by 7.15 even if she's slept 15 mins in the car in the afternoon it can cause me problems at night.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 10:15 am
sof kol sof: I realized I have to 'threaten' him with something very serious. so I came and stood next to his bed and said do you want me to stand here or here (head of bed or middle). he said he wants me to stand on other side of room. so I said he needs to lay down and I'll stay on other side of room. after a minute I left. that worked for 15 minutes and as I'm typing this he came out again. so I'm going back into the lions den!

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 10:23 am
before now he always went to sleep no problm. he totally stopped naps about 2 weeks ago.
currently he is back in bed with a 'rakevet' of 3 legos. hopefully he'll pass out before coming out again.

cubbie

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 10:26 am
If this is an ongoing situation I have heard that the best thing to do is to walk him back into his room put him back in his bed and walk out again, with no conversation other than "it's bedtime now, but
I'll check on you in a few minutes" and do that everytime he comes out, if he stays in his bed then after 10 minutes you say "well done for staying in your bed, good night I'll check on you in a few minutes and this time wait 15 minutes and repeat increasing the time you wait until he is asleep. By doing this he's learning 2 things, firstly that he gets no attention from coming out, but praise for staying in, and secondly that he's not left "alone" in the room because mommy keeps coming to check on him. You need to stay consistant but each night the time before he falls asleep should get shorter and within a few days he'll stop coming out of the room.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 10:38 am
you need to make a bedtime routine and a chart ... bath, brush teeth, story, shema, and some sit next to him time ... keep consistent with your expectations ... and be gentle too ... give it some time ... it'll work ...

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 11:22 am
well basically for the past half hour I've been in his room with him. sitting on the floor or folding clothes. he's still not asleep. I'm exhausted adn need a break and I'm scared I'm gonna go nuts. or I already went nuts, not sure

Dini

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 11:28 am
cubbie wrote:
If this is an ongoing situation I have heard that the best thing to do is to walk him back into his room put him back in his bed and walk out again, with no conversation other than "it's bedtime now, but
I'll check on you in a few minutes" and do that everytime he comes out, if he stays in his bed then after 10 minutes you say "well done for staying in your bed, good night I'll check on you in a few minutes and this time wait 15 minutes and repeat increasing the time you wait until he is asleep. By doing this he's learning 2 things, firstly that he gets no attention from coming out, but praise for staying in, and secondly that he's not left "alone" in the room because mommy keeps coming to check on him. You need to stay consistant but each night the time before he falls asleep should get shorter and within a few days he'll stop coming out of the room.

I also heard of doing this or similar. My sister in law told me that everytime her son came out she was told just pick him up and put him back in bed without saying anything. the third time that he came out, they were ready to pick him up and he started screaming no, no, I'll go by myself and he did.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 11:29 am
YAY!!! he's asleep!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy when I went back after my previous post he was half asleep. when I came in and he saw me he just rolled over and passed out!!! thank you so much guys for staying with me tonite and saving me and my sanity and my son LOL Very Happy Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics