Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Sourdough shaping

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:14 am
I can make a good tasting loaf with an even crumb but my loaf never looks gorgeous. How do I get a gorgeous looking loaf? Any good videos? Or tips?
Also,
I generally just use a blade to score, I don't use the little stick thing it came with. Could it be my blade is no longer sharp? I always find it gets stuck when I try to make the cut.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:04 am
What's not gorgeous about it? Is the shape evenly round or oval? Try using toppings like seeds, oatmeal, chia

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:07 am
amother Wine wrote:
What's not gorgeous about it? Is the shape evenly round or oval? Try using toppings like seeds, oatmeal, chia

So firstly, it's not always even because sometimes the parchment paper presses into part of it and makes a sort of indent.

Also the place I scored just looks kind of like a rip sometimes not a gorgeous ear.

Also, I try to make designs but they kind of just look like more scores and not actually the design

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:10 am
Try scoring it using sharper blade and a little deeper. Half an inch deep. Does it pop up in oven?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:12 am
amother Wine wrote:
Try scoring it using sharper blade and a little deeper. Half an inch deep. Does it pop up in oven?

I score very deep. (Maybe too deep?)

What do you mean pop up?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:13 am
Try scoring less deep then. Meaning does the bread have oven spring? It should rise more in the oven

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:14 am
amother Wine wrote:
Try scoring less deep then. Meaning does the bread have oven spring? It should rise more in the oven

Umm, sometimes yes. Sometimes not so much.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:16 am
You prob have a different issue. You may be letting it overproof in the bulk rise(rose too long) or the starter isn't active enough, or u need more steam in ur oven(try adding abit of water under parchment of Dutch oven when it's preheated. They say the ear is indicative of a perfectly done loaf. If something is wrong u won't get that look

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:18 am
amother Wine wrote:
You prob have a different issue. You may be letting it overproof in the bulk rise(rose too long) or the starter isn't active enough, or u need more steam in ur oven(try adding abit of water under parchment of Dutch oven when it's preheated. They say the ear is indicative of a perfectly done loaf. If something is wrong u won't get that look

But the crumb inside is pretty even. Could it still be if overproofed? How do I know?

How do I know if the starter is active enough? (I always do two feeds before using).

What do you mean water under parchment? Right in the dutch oven? Won't that make the bread soggy?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:34 am
How long do u let it rise for the bulk rise? No it doesn't make it soggy it makes it moister inside but when u uncover the pot, it gets crispy again
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics