Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Endless congestion in toddler
Previous  1  2

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:23 am
Adenoids

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:50 am
bnm wrote:
Also every evening saline spray his nose on both sides till it runs clear and then use Flonase. Flonase can be miraculous. If that doesn't make a difference you need specalists.

Thanks bnm, I'll try this and your other suggestions above.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:51 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
Sit in the bathroom with him while running your shower on hottest setting for 10 minutes. Have him sleep with an extra pillow.
Give him lots of water to drink. See if he will have warm chicken soup.

A week to ten days is normal for a virus to run its course. It's so so hard!

Did you see my update? It's been over a month now and he hasn't had a virus for a few weeks already.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:52 am
amother Ballota wrote:
Adenoids

Does it make sense that this would cause congestion suddenly? Do they take them out so young? He's 2.5.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:13 am
Have you ruled out asthma? My kids had it and now my grandchild. Colds and viruses can be a trigger and can make congestion difficult to resolve. The shower steaming is often helpful, but you need to do it regularly. Also, after so many weeks, what started out as a virus could now be bacterial. You might want to see if your child needs antibiotics. I caught RSV from my grandchild and it took over 3 weeks to resolve. Eventually, I needed antibiotics for bronchitis.
Also, cut raw onions (as mentioned upthread) will not do anything for asthma or congestion. It's a bubbe meise.
https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/arti.....teria

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Did you see my update? It's been over a month now and he hasn't had a virus for a few weeks already.

Sorry op I did not see your update.

Oish! So sorry you are dealing with this 😞

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:34 am
amother Chestnut wrote:
Have you ruled out asthma? My kids had it and now my grandchild. Colds and viruses can be a trigger and can make congestion difficult to resolve. The shower steaming is often helpful, but you need to do it regularly. Also, after so many weeks, what started out as a virus could now be bacterial. You might want to see if your child needs antibiotics. I caught RSV from my grandchild and it took over 3 weeks to resolve. Eventually, I needed antibiotics for bronchitis.
Also, cut raw onions (as mentioned upthread) will not do anything for asthma or congestion. It's a bubbe meise.
https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/arti.....teria

No, I haven't gone to the doctor for him since he had the initial virus, since they swabbed him then, got the result that it was some common virus and there was nothing to do for it. Interesting I wouldn't have thought of asthma since it's just congestion and I've seen asthma in young kids before and it's presented more as wheezing. I'll keep it in mind thanks!

I feel like if it had turned bacterial there would be green mucus or something no? There's no mucus at at least not coming out of his nose.

Yeah, onions did nothing for this except make his room smell awful Sad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:35 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
Sorry op I did not see your update.

Oish! So sorry you are dealing with this 😞

No worries, I added it to the original post now so it's more clear.
Thanks! There are so many helpful suggestions here, it's looking like I'll have to take him back to the doctor if it doesn't clear up soon which I was hoping to avoid since he gets sick every time we go to the doctor Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics