Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
New business- sock store?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:38 am
I have been looking to open a business where I can work from home. I currently work out of the house and its just getting too much for me.

Recently I have been hearing from women in my neighborhood how annoying it is that there is no local place to buy tights/socks etc.. There are sock stores located in the main area of town but that is still a bit of a drive away.

It got me thinking that maybe opening a sock store at home would be an idea? I live in a small house with no extra space to dedicate to a real store, but maybe I would just do deliveries? I didn't think this thru too well yet, but is it even an idea? practical? no idea where I would even start.

I know for myself I kind of like going to a store to buy my tights/socks/headbands etc.. but maybe others feel differently?

ideas? suggestions?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:53 am
Many years ago, when I lived in Lakewood, there was a store called Sox by the Box. (Could be they're still around!)

They sold only basic tights/socks - not patterns or designs that change by the season. There was no storefront. You had to order by the box - which is usually 6 pieces at a time.

Because of the "shop by the box" policy + no showroom, they were cheaper than hosiery stores. All orders were delivered.

I loved it and would use such a service if it existed where I live now! I anyhow buy basic tights (black and nude for myself, plain black socks for my son) in bulk, and such a concept shop would just be a text away instead of an errand.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:56 am
I buy my daughters tights on amazon so I don't really care much about buying in person so as long as its as convenient I would buy from a person instead.

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 12:10 pm
Besides for the plain basic I like to see in person what I buying or at least WhatsApp /emailed pictures of which socks they have so I can order.

I thought of opening one in my area 4 yrs ago but didn't have the space.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 12:11 pm
Well I was thinking I’d have a website with all of the images of the items on the website.

SesameSeeds

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 12:14 pm
OP - not sure if you are serious but somebody in my area is selling such a business with a ready website. She runs it from her garage. PM me for more info.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 12:23 pm
Really? Weird timing. I’ve been thinking about this for a while but can’t say I’m really serious. But maybe I am. Trying to figure it out!

Do you know why she’s selling it?

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:18 pm
Are you in the NY/NJ area?

I run such a business and happy to help and answer questions if I can PM you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics