Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Jean Jacket - OOT BY teen

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:56 pm
My 13 yo dd would like to buy a jean jacket.
I'm inclined to let her.
But, is it making some sort of statement?
I know people from different communities will have different reactions, but please try to pretend you are the mother of a teen who goes to an OOT BY.
A teen who is generally aidel B"H, but does not like tzniyus rules and wishes she could dress in a secular fashion.
I think it's a good idea to "give in" since it's not a halachic issue, but I just want to know if there's more implications here than I'm realizing.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:57 pm
Light blue rough jean?
Are the girls wearing that in her school?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 1:08 am
Yes.
She says her friends have it too.
Not to wear to school.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 1:11 am
IMO it’s not a big deal and you don’t want her to go behind your back to get it. I don’t think a big deal should be made over something so small. Save it for the bigger stuff

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:02 pm
Right, that's why I think.
Why make a big deal over something that isn't really a problem.

Thank you!

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:13 pm
My girls go to an OOT BY and there would be major repercussions if they wore a denim jacket so I would really not do it unless they understood how people’s perceptions of them might change. It could affect what camp they get into, what seminary, etc.

But it depends on what you mean by BY. Are you yeshivish and send to a BY or are you not yeshivish and send to a BY? Very different situations. I’m assuming you’re not yeshivish since you’re asking this question. So it’s fine for your dd to wear a jean jacket. For my girls, who are from a yeshivish family and want yeshivish shidduchim, it wouldn’t be a good idea.

cuffs

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:14 pm
Denim skirts/jean jackets are very in style even in the yeshivish circles now. I would totally allow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children