Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Could she be getting ready for toilet training?

pinktichel

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 5:12 pm
At 21 months, DD has started telling me when she has a dirty diaper. She doesn't tell me because she wants it changing, she just likes me to be informed. Rolling Eyes

She will also tell me when she feels the need to go, but only when she's in the bath. I take her out immediately (I was too late, many times!!) and put her on the toilet, but she just freaks out and refuses to go. She does it a bit later, in her diaper.

This started a few days ago. Does this mean I'm going to have to start training her soon?

Pineapple

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 8:28 pm
If you feel she is ready why not start if not wait.

ds started telling me when his diaper is dirty but he is not at all ready to be trained so I am waiting.

bubby

Post Fri, Aug 15 2008, 7:39 am
YES!!! Buy a toilet seat, Fisher Price has a cute one, & sit her on it!! Or get a potty! The toilet is big & scary, she'll feel like she's falling in. I wish MY kids Rolling Eyes had given ME signals. You need Tante Pearl...best potty trainer around Very Happy

Maybe her little sis will be inspired then you're all set Rolling Laughter

Akeres Habayis

Post Fri, Aug 15 2008, 7:59 am
pinktichel its funny that u say this.
dd who is 20months goes thru all the motions of going to the bathroom,concentration kind she stands and stares,then starts walking.if the quick second one she squats.
yesterday I was getting ready to put her in the kiddie pool had taken off her diaper,she immediately got that far away look and well......
I decided I will buy her a potty next week.and just let her sit there when I go.
halavei it should be so easy!!!

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 15 2008, 8:29 am
we are attempting it with my ds...who successfully made #2 twice in the potty but not number 1 (I guess it is harder to sense it is going to happen)..

We started because he kept taking off his diaper and seemed interested in the potty. We have one of thos large inserts. I hate them, but ds won't go in the little potty.

I've just about given up, but I feel I shouldn't (taking a break for Shabbos)...He stopped making in the potty when he sensed this was for real and after he wasn't so successful with number ones.

I did say "I'll get you an arctic if you make pee pee in the potty" (I usually don't reward that extravagantly for pee pee, but it was all day on Thursday and not a single success). Well he ran to the potty and tried to make but couldn't. The trouble is, he won't sit on the potty more than 2 minutes. If I try to hold him, he starts to cry, so what's the point of that? Then he'll play in the sink and make on the floor...

So he's got the idea...but I don't know if he could successfully feel he is about to make and get to the potty. I'd personally prefer to wait but dh doesn't want to pay for diapers for another 6 months.

I'll have older ds "show" him and get a prize and that might make him jealous enough to try it...if that doesn't work, I might just throw in the towel until Tishrei or Pesach...

I'd say try it OP...if you don't succeed, you can always try again later...it is the summer so it is worth it to give it a shot! And she is young enough that there is time.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 15 2008, 9:05 am
I definitley say go for it. At this early point it make take a while especially if she's nervous, but it's better than ignoring her cues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics