Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Informing job about maternity leave

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 10:56 am
I work fully remote. I'm about to start my 3rd trimester and I feel like now is a good time to tell my supervisors and coworkers. I don't legally have to inform them until 30 days before my maternity leave but I think they would appreciate a little more advance notice. They never see more than my shoulders up so they don't know it's coming. I'm feeling a little uncomfortable since I work with mostly men... how do I go about this professionally? Send an email? Tell them on a meeting?
Also, I have to reach out to HR about maternity leave - also an email? I rarely interact with HR so they don't know who I am
Please advise!

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:08 am
I would either have a phone call with my boss or send an email. Something like this-

Good morning Boss,

I would like to inform you that I am expecting, and due in [insert month]. I wanted to start working on official arrangements for my maternity leave. Feel free to reach out with any questions, and I will reach out to HR as well to discuss my leave.

Thank you and happy holidays,

Employee

If I did an in-person or over the phone conversation, I would send an email afterwards summarizing what was discussed and specifying the dates again, so there is proof of the conversation and no "miscommunications" down the road. Something in writing you can both reference at any later date.

You can send essentially the same email to HR. If you have any specific questions about your leave or what the company offers, write them in the email.

Example:

What is the companies policy regarding maternity leave?
How many weeks is it?
Is it paid as my usual salary?
How much advance notice is necessary before I officially start my leave?

Unigala

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:08 am
I think an email is perfectly acceptable.

for sure for your HR

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:12 am
Thank you! I speak with my direct supervisor pretty often and I would feel a little weird sending him an email (idk it seems a little impersonal) but I'm uncomfortable with the thought of telling him on the phone.
Also totally in my head but these people know when I got married and it's weird to think they'll be counting in their heads - they have no concept of frum people's family planning and they'll prob think I'm crazy but I just have to forget about that

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! I speak with my direct supervisor pretty often and I would feel a little weird sending him an email (idk it seems a little impersonal) but I'm uncomfortable with the thought of telling him on the phone.
Also totally in my head but these people know when I got married and it's weird to think they'll be counting in their heads - they have no concept of frum people's family planning and they'll prob think I'm crazy but I just have to forget about that

Most people dont think about that, especially in the secular world where its pretty common for couples to get pregnant before they get married. And for women to get pregnant before their in a couple.

Write out what you want to say so you dont feel awkward on the phone, itll mostly be in your head but its fine. People have these conversations with their boss everyday and once its done youll feel relieved that its in the open.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:

I did it in a zoom meeting.
It went something like this:
"I have great news" pause "I'm pregnant and due at the end of x month. I will be happy to train someone to take over for me while im out and look forward to returning after maternity leave"

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:32 pm
Bshaa tova umutzlachat!
I think beginning of third trimester is perfect timing since I’m assuming they have to find someone and u have to train them. I also think about it when working remote like this - if you worked in person would you already have spoken to hr/boss? then why aren’t you telling them if working remote? Like what if you have to met up with your boss for something, I don’t think there’s any point to hide it and they will see it as professional they you r giving enough notice.
I would recommend to call hr and then your boss, because you can ask hr the leave policies and ask them to email you the necessary forms etc. you can always follow up with an email after, such as “thank you for our earlier conversation. To follow up will you please email me the PFL paperwork? Thank you so much” or something to that effect.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:18 pm
Was going to start a thread on this. I bh am due in March. I work in an office and my direct boss (also a family member of mine) knows when I'm due. It's not my first child. Recently in the past year they have me doing work for other parts of the company and working with other ppl I never worked with before. I am with the company 13 years bh. I feel like I should say something to the people I am working with but I find it hard to say anything. In general I don't tell ppl I am expecting as I've had late losses and it's hard for me. How can email the couple ppl that may need to know without me being so awkward about it. (I hate when ppl comment on my pregnancy)

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics