Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
20 yr old girl over shbbs with patient in NYU Manhattan?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 9:09 am
What are the things to know
someone asked my daughter if she can do this chesed

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 10:50 am
I've done it. The person who asked me to do it told me what I needed to know. It was via a Bikur Cholim. And many times with my grandfather.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 10:59 am
This is based on my experience at a different NY hospital.
Before Shabbos, find out if Bikur Cholim delivers meals or if she will need to go get them.
Before Shabbos, do a trial walk through all the places she'll need to go. From the hospital entrance to the patient room to the bikur cholim room. Make sure there are no sensors or electronics to pass through on the route.
Be sure the bathroom has tissues.
Bring a travel size pillow and blanket into the patient room in case your daughter wants to nap on a chair. If not available, a coat can be a pillow.
Call the chaplain before Shabhos to see if there is any specific information that works be helpful.

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:00 am
I did this for a very sick baby in LIJ. The mother of the baby told me everything I needed to know since she had done it many times before.

naomi2

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:02 am
I was just there over shobbos and had a good experience bh. It's a very nice hospital, looks new and fresh. The staff was very kind. Idk if all floors are the same but we had a private room with a bathroom, no shower. There was a fully reclining chair in the room for me ( I was there with my child) I saw other rooms didnt have that but she can check the family room for extras or ask a nurse for one. That family room is also a nice place for a change of scenery because it has windows and not all the rooms have windows. She can request extra pillows and sheets (no comforters) for herself. The soap dispensers in the bathroom are electronic so she should bring her own. They have tissue boxes but you probably need to request. Otherwise there is only toilet paper in the bathroom. There is a monitor on the wall with movies and also an iPad with entertainment. They have kosher food delivered at meal times. She might have to request for herself. Otherwise there is a kosher bikur cholim room with a full hot shobbos meal and snacks, drinks etc. they have siddurim and Yiddish magazines, hot water etc the code is on the door in Hebrew but I'm pretty sure it's electronic so its probably open all shobbos. It's on the 1st floor near the gift shop and elevators. She might have to ask someone for more specific directions. There is a shobbos elevator that stops on every floor. She should ask her LOR about what she can and can't do, as far as halacha to help or entertain herself and the patient or keep them both comfortable. The staff there is very accommodating and aware about shobbos restrictions. Tizcu l'mitzvos!

Last edited by naomi2 on Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:03 am
Find out the matzav of patient. If very critical, or nearing end, she should be prepared to handle emergency or unexpected/expected furthering.....

Or if it's just a minor, routine stay for observation.....

dankbar

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:10 am
Find out besides physical care patient needs, what patient likes, in regards to entertainment, foods and preferences if patient is up to it.

Does patient like stories read to them, schmoozing, playing games, riddles, jokes, does patient want to be left alone, just rest, maybe they like if you put up some comedy, get dressed up, make yourself silly.

Maybe if they have pain, what can do to ease their pain or their fears and anxieties.

Does the patient want listening, like kvetching or distraction....not to feel pain.

Find out a little about patient personality....

If there are any restrictions, like dietary, mobility....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries