Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Early shabbos cooking

smile

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 4:07 am
I tend to be in such a rush on Thursday & Friday, with work and shabbos cooking.
I cook or bake before and freeze what can be frozen.
However my issue is with the last minute cooking, as in fish (fresh salmon or Tuna), Salads, eggs, lo mein salad, tshulent and dips.

My question is, if I can't freeze these things, what can I at least prepare on Tuesday/Wednesday.
I want to start earlier with shabbos cooking, but don't know what will stay fresh and safe to eat.

lucky14

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 6:42 am
I’d skip the dips. How many salads are you making? Maybe just do one salad and one dip. If you have the money purchase dips and stop making them. Those are what’s taking your time I assume. Cholent, eggs and fish are pretty quick to make.

corolla

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 6:51 am
You can totally make dips early. Mine last at least a week in the fridge, though not that I intentionally leave them that way.

Anything mayo based for sure.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 7:36 am
Dips can be made Wednesday.
Does the lo mein need cooked pasta? That can be made Wednesday.
Cholent beans can be soaked in advance and frozen.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 7:40 am
smile wrote:
I tend to be in such a rush on Thursday & Friday, with work and shabbos cooking.
I cook or bake before and freeze what can be frozen.
However my issue is with the last minute cooking, as in fish (fresh salmon or Tuna), Salads, eggs, lo mein salad, tshulent and dips.

My question is, if I can't freeze these things, what can I at least prepare on Tuesday/Wednesday.
I want to start earlier with shabbos cooking, but don't know what will stay fresh and safe to eat.

Chulent and dips can be made early or pre-arranged and just need to "cook" the chulent/ add the dressing...

Shopmiami49

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 7:52 am
I do desserts and challah much earlier in the week and freeze them, or I pull out from the freezer.

I make a huge quantity of soup stock and freeze containers that I can pull out each week.

I prepare veggie bags for the soup that include cut up veggies and spices. I freeze several of these at a time and I add to the defrosted stock a few hours before shabbos.

I make many dips and they last several weeks. Marinated dips, crispy garlic, olive dip, etc. I make 2 or 3 alternating ones fresh each week so I always have variety. I also freeze certain dips like techina, chummus, cooked eggplant (no mayo), guacamole, etc.

I cook and freeze kugels.

The actual food I make fresh each week starting from Thursday are chicken, rice, salads, cholent, and an occasional schnitzel or pigs in blanket for shabbos day

smile

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 8:19 am
Which Dips keep the longest?
Mayonnaise based or without.

I tried once freezing tomato dip (mayo free) and it tasted off when defrosted.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 9:38 am
Batch prep your dips and freeze into smaller containers.

Tehina
Matbucha
Garlic confit

All freeze well!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 9:40 am
Shop wednesday
Cook the eggs and make the dips wednesday
Make the tuna Thursday
Cholent can be early Friday morning

corolla

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:03 am
SuperWify wrote:
Batch prep your dips and freeze into smaller containers.

Tehina
Matbucha
Garlic confit

All freeze well!

I've personally had bad experience freezing matbucha. Same with eggplant. It comes out really watery when defrosted. Any tips on how to avoid that?

ez-pass

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:12 am
I don't find most dips freeze well. I cook Thursday night/Friday.

I make challah every few weeks and freeze. Only other thing I freeze is kugel if I happen to have made an extra. I overnight it anyways each week for shabbos day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus