Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Actress Julia Roberts Defends Modesty In the Daily Mail

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 10:42 am
Really. Julia Roberts champions other women who feel pressured to take their clothes off on camera.
Julia Roberts reveals the REAL reason she refuses to strip off on screen

Quote:
Interviewed by screenwriter Richard Curtis for her British Vogue cover debut, she has revealed she wants to champion other women who feel pressured to strip off on camera.

(Wait a minute, there's no one else championing women who feel pressured to strip off on camera? Isha Yiras Hashem is available for this cause.)

Quote:
Asked if she has 'any feelings of responsibility to other women' with her behaviour in her movies, Julia explained: 'My G-rated career…'You know, not to be criticising others’ choices, but for me to not take off my clothes in a movie or be vulnerable in physical ways is a choice that I guess I make for myself.'

(So not such a champion for other women, then. Maybe she would enjoy my modesty song, if you have her email address I'll be happy to email it to her.)
Quote:

Julia revealed she did her family tree with Finding Your Roots star Dr Henry Gates and declared: 'I am DNA cousins with Gloria Steinem.'
The Oscar-winning actress previously revealed that she didn't want to strip off for the sake of her children.

(Note: according to the daily Mail, that was just the excuse. Thanks to the Daily Mail, we now know the real reason.)

Quote:

When asked if she would consider doing a nude scene in a film, she said: 'You know it’s not really what I do, so if you are going ask me to do it, you have to expect it to be toned down. You know, as a mum of three, I feel like that.'

It is disturbing that this is a news article. She has to explain why she wouldn't want to do a nude scene in a film? Someone should have told her she's a holy princess.

Relevant links:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tv......html

https://ishayirashashem.substa.....desty

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 10:46 am
I think this is fascinating. Julia Roberts clearly has some sensitivity to modesty, and without knowing anything else about her, I'll assume she's happily married. But look at how she is in the position of having to come up with excuses! It's ridiculous.

And she isn't all that confident about it overall. but she has to be a pretty strong person if she stood up to this amount of pressure.

This is the kind of news article that makes me feel SO grateful to be frum.

cbsp

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:45 am
Unless she's renounced her career choices, maybe she's being so defensive because of her role in "Pretty Woman"? (although IIRC, the movie did make a big deal about how even they could have standards/red lines withing the profession. And to imply otherwise is denigrating.)

Have her (young?) kids watched her movies?

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:59 am
She's been quoted saying she won't do nude scenes for years. I remember reading this 30 years ago in the 90s at the height of her fame. It isn't anything new. She's famously private and doesn't talk about her personal life so I guess the reporter or interviewer needed something to write about.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 12:43 pm
It may not be new, but it's still interesting. Is she the only actress who does this?

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 12:47 pm
ectomorph wrote:
It may not be new, but it's still interesting. Is she the only actress who does this?

No. There are others.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
No. There are others.

Like who?

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 12:58 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Like who?

It's easy to Google, there are definitely well known ones. I remember Sarah Michelle Gellar (Jewish btw) was very open about not doing nude scenes.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:05 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
She's been quoted saying she won't do nude scenes for years. I remember reading this 30 years ago in the 90s at the height of her fame. It isn't anything new. She's famously private and doesn't talk about her personal life so I guess the reporter or interviewer needed something to write about.

Why are some more private than others?
And also *how* are some more private than others? Don’t journalists try to get info on everyone?

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:10 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
Why are some more private than others?
And also *how* are some more private than others? Don’t journalists try to get info on everyone?

She doesn't live in CA. She lives somewhere random, maybe New Mexico? It's very rare to see pap shots of her, never of her kids. She does a job maybe once a year, does the PR circuit or red carpet events, then goes back home and you don't hear from her until the next movie. She goes to events on her own, without her husband. When you are an A lister you don't need the fame. It's the B and C list ones desperate to stay relevant. They tip off the paparazzi to get photographed a lot of the time.

As to the state of her marriage I can't say, but there was a lot of drama back when they got together because he was still married and his wife didn't want to divorce. But since then, no drama.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:31 pm
In this field of work I don't think any of them really want to do nude scenes. They do it for the money. It's only the ones that will get jobs either way that will take a stand.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:34 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
In this field of work I don't think any of them really want to do nude scenes. They do it for the money. It's only the ones that will get jobs either way that will take a stand.

Dakota Johnson seemed not to mind in the least on an interview I watched. I doubt she has a hard time getting jobs.

mattel25

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:17 pm
A non-issue. Lots of leading actresses use real life body doubles for scenes that require nudity. Now with Hollywood using AI digital doubles an actor or actress can be made to do anything without them actually participating in it.

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Dakota Johnson seemed not to mind in the least on an interview I watched. I doubt she has a hard time getting jobs.

She's B list at best. I doubt she has her pick of the jobs. (If not for her famous mom, I doubt she'd have much of a career at all.) Sure she has to sound enthusiastic; I'd take anything a celebrity says while on the PR circuit with a grain of salt.

And it's true that a lot of actors use body doubles when it comes to certain scenes.

BaltoMom65

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 3:14 pm
Good for her! She's fantastic! In her 50s and still getting big roles!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics